2003 honda hybrid: IMA battery, catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2003 honda hybrid: IMA battery, catalytic converter

Thanks guys! I have my non-fouler drilled (1) and ready to be installed. I'm getting the P0420 code. I was ready to install last weekend and I was caught off guard when I saw the 3 O2's. I was expecting 2. My cat is most likely bad. But that's a huge expense for a car with > 204k miles on it. My inspection in PA is due in Feb and I need to get past that until I'm in a position to get another car. My wife and I have driven the Civic everywhere and have had no complaints. The battery stopped working a year ago, throwing the IMA and P1600 and P1433 codes. To get this through the inspection last Feb I had to pay extra for what's called a waiver. My guy either can't or won't do it again this year. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"P" codes are emissions related, and you won't pass with any of them active. Without another waiver, it sounds like you need a plan "B" to get through emissions. Grid charging is your cheapest hope. DIY link in my sig.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
"P" codes are emissions related, and you won't pass with any of them active. Without another waiver, it sounds like you need a plan "B" to get through emissions. Grid charging is your cheapest hope. DIY link in my sig.
Hmmmm, I was hoping the P1600 and P1433 codes would be acceptable to pass inspection since those codes really pertain to the battery not functioning versus truly an emissions system issue.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM

P1600 is generic IMA fault and can be triggered by multiple things. P1433 is the battery.

The IMA system is 100% an emissions system. It's warranties are dictated by federal and CARB state emissions laws.

Think of it this way... does the function of the IMA system alter the emissions? Yes. Inoperative IMA = more gas burned for a given mile - more emissions.

Cars are certified to a certain level of emissions. If a system fails that increases emissions, the car is no longer in compliance with the certified standards and does not meet its emissions requirements.

Your region may have an exception, but I doubt it as most emissions testing programs are dictated by either federal laws (EPA) or more restrictive CARB state laws.

It doesn't matter that it still gets better mileage than most cars out there. It doesn't get the mileage it's supposed to.

Steve

Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

To put it mildly, CRAP! I was looking for a short term fix but I'm sure you're info is accurate. It certainly makes sense what you stated. I knew it affected emissions by way of the intent of the hybrid and it's superior mpg, but I thought the lost mileage was on me, not something to fail emission. Thanks again. Not what I wanted to hear but very appreciative.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Always worth confirming with your local test facility.

$85 worth of DIY effort might get you through the testing. I recently let a local GH member borrow my grid charger/discharger. His pack is definitely on its way out, but he managed to get through emissions with it.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Where would I go about finding someone with a grid charger? The Honda dealer will not be so kind as you are ($$$$). My local station will look at me like I'm nuts if I ask him if he has one.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:09 PM

I meant check with your station if you can pass with those codes.

Check the "Build your down grid charger/discharger" link in my signature below for a DIY version.