AC Clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default AC Clutch not engaging

In my Gen1 HCH, the AC clutch is not engaging. I ran a wire from the battery and was able to force the cutch to engage, however, it will not engage naturally. When it was force engaged I checked the pressure and it seemed to be ok at least on the low side.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AC Clutch not engaging

EDIT: If the condenser/radiator fans don't come on, and the interior blower works, it's probably a bad field coil. I had to replace the compressor in my HCH2. Pain in the a$$ since it also has the electric motor in it and uses the special oil extracted from liquified platinum.

If you can figure out which terminals it takes to check it, the field coil resistance for the HCH2 should be between 3.05 and 3.35 Ohms. I expect it should be something similar. My bad one tested 4.5 Ohms. If there is any sign of discoloration or blistering at the compressor clutch, replace the clutch (and field coil) or just get one from a salvage yard.

The HCH2 has a means of using the HVAC controls to display diagnostic codes and troubleshoot. You might try to locate a Honda service manual and see if there is something similar for HCH1

Last edited by S Keith; 08-13-2015 at 08:50 PM.