Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Has anyone put Lo-Jack on their HCH? Not only did my son remind me he learned the Civic is the most stolen vehicle in the country, in one of his classes, but the dealership business manager told me 1 in 3 civics is stolen. I am checking with my insurance company today to see what % reduction I get for having Lo-Jack, to help off-set the cost to install, but $700 seems like a lot to spend.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Originally Posted by lkewin
Has anyone put Lo-Jack on their HCH? Not only did my son remind me he learned the Civic is the most stolen vehicle in the country, in one of his classes, but the dealership business manager told me 1 in 3 civics is stolen. I am checking with my insurance company today to see what % reduction I get for having Lo-Jack, to help off-set the cost to install, but $700 seems like a lot to spend.
A funny thing about Lo-Jack, my friend is a car salesman and he says that some dealerships will install lojack into cars bought by folks with questionable credit (without their knowledge) so the repo folks can find it fast when the time comes...

Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 AM
YA RLY.

the dealership business manager told me 1 in 3 civics is stolen.
Did he say what model years were the most stolen? I'd bet the huge majority of stolen Civics are 2000 and earlier.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Wink Re: Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Sounds like the kind of crap a finance-guy would say when trying to sell extra profit items.

Don

Old 01-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by Sledge
Did he say what model years were the most stolen? I'd bet the huge majority of stolen Civics are 2000 and earlier.
From the National Insurance Crime Bureau website...

for my state - Pennsylvania
  1. 1990 Honda Accord
  2. 1991 Honda Civic
  3. 1990 Toyota Camry
  4. 1994 Dodge Caravan
  5. 1994 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
  6. 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass
  7. 1992 Ford Taurus
  8. 1994 Plymouth Voyager
  9. 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier
  10. 1993 Saturn SL

Last edited by lkewin; 01-25-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

I was on a website for "glass etching" for security,which went on about it's more of a anti theft deterent than lo-jack. My HCH has the etching(was already done by the dealer,wasn't an option. he said they do it to help guard against on the lot theft) I'm hoping that plus the micro chip in the keys/ignition and my trusty "club " will be enough. don't want to be scared to take the car out

Old 01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Larry. You've probably found out by now, but I know because I went around looking for insurance quotes, that the reduction in premium for Lo-Jack is alone NOT cost-effective. You WILL end up losing money on it. It typically saves you maybe 10-30 bucks for the year. Now, if you buy it because you want that piece of mind and security, well, then you'd have to decide at what price is that comfort worth to you. Just my 2 centavos anyway.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

With the type 6 immobilizer system on the 2006 civic the only way the vehicle is likely to be stolen is if the key was left in the ignition or the car was towed off (both not entirely unlikely).

That having been said the Lo-Jack system is pretty cool in that your car can be located within about an hour by a participating police agency.

I bet the police would be very unhappy to find out a finance company was using them as a repo agency.

Actualy police agencys require a vehicle to be reported stolen to activate a Lo-jack. In the event of a no-pay situation this would require all other recovery efforts to be exausted including bank notification, repo attempts etc. Now if the vehicle was fraudulently purchased, that may be a different story.

There is a system out there in use that will disable the ignition of a no-pay. I'm not sure of the name of this company because I have not encountered it myself, only heard about it.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

All great input guys. I appreciate the feedback and discussion.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My aunt works for United Auto here in Phoenix and I ws going to get the Lo-Jack installed that told you if your car was moved without you knowing. I selected this one because I live in an apartment and if it is stolen, chances are that I would not know for like 6 hours and by then it is either trashed or in Mexico. She said that they are having trouble with that version and not to get it. Not sure about the other options but if they are having trouble with it...why spend the money? Just be sure to get GAP insurance.

Quick Reply: Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands