"Check Fuel Cap" message in 06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default "Check Fuel Cap" message in 06 HCH

I just started getting this message on Friday. It scrolled by in the odometer display after turning the key on and went away when I press select to change the display, but came back on everytime I restarted (also, if I press select enough times, it eventually cycles back to that message). I checked the cap and it was tight (I went several clicks to be sure). This morning, the message was gone. Anyone seen this or know what could be causing it? We have had lower than usual daytime temps over the last couple of days, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Old 01-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Default Re: "Check Fuel Cap" message in 06 HCH

Did you have your window down or your door possibly open when refueling the car? That Gas cap light works off of sensors that detect gas fuemes. Since it has been colder out, gas fumes tend to be more potent, at least to my nose. This may have cause the light to come on. In most cars I have worked on, this light turns itself off when It no longer senses the problem. It doesn't throw a code in computer that has to be cleared or reset. If it doesn't come back on the I say your okay and that was the problem. If it does come back on and if what I described is not the problem them I don't know what else to tell you other than take it to the dealer. Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I just started getting this message on Friday. It scrolled by in the odometer display after turning the key on and went away when I press select to change the display, but came back on everytime I restarted (also, if I press select enough times, it eventually cycles back to that message). I checked the cap and it was tight (I went several clicks to be sure). This morning, the message was gone. Anyone seen this or know what could be causing it? We have had lower than usual daytime temps over the last couple of days, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Have you read page 68 of the Owner's Manual?

Old 01-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
Did you have your window down or your door possibly open when refueling the car?
i don't think so, and the tank is 1/2 full, so it's been a while since the cap was off.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Have you read page 68 of the Owner's Manual?
I remembered that part about re-opening and closing until the click, but I guess I missed the part about pressing and holding SEL/RESET to clear it. Mine eventually cleared on its own, I guess it got tired of waiting. It's still a mystery why it came on in the first place...

Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
i don't think so, and the tank is 1/2 full, so it's been a while since the cap was off.
Well, That strange. I don't know what else would cause that. I hope that it doesn't come back on for you.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

The cap might not been initially tight enough since the message eventually went away after tightening it. In my 99 Accord I had, I filled up, thought I had it tight enough. The (check engine) light didn't come on right away, but when it eventually did I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong. I was at around 103,000 ... so I was thinking O2 sensors among other things. Read the maual, tightened the cap and it took three full cold to full warm drives to make the light go out. I think your car was just notifying you that the cap wasn't 'perfectly' secure, and it is an emissions saavy car. You might have had it almost to a click, and then through some vibrations (RR crossings, potholes, rough road surface) it loosened slightly and that would cause the delayed reaction. You could always do an experiment and loosen the cap start the car, then tighten it and see if you get the same pattern.

That is a nice feature to TELL you what is wrong. Does anyone know if the HCH I does this as well, since it is also a matrix display?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
That Gas cap light works off of sensors that detect gas fuemes. Since it has been colder out, gas fumes tend to be more potent, at least to my nose.
It's actually a pressure sensor. You may, or may not notice, as it's almost silent, but a small unit generates pressure inside the fuel system. When the pressure falls, the sensor reports. It often takes several drives, and even a fresh tank of fuel to reset the sensor. There are no fume sensors in the vehicle.

If the sesor reports for more than a few days worth of driving, like Shaun mentioned, you may want to have it checked.

Chris.

Last edited by biotech_chris; 01-23-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I usually try to go at least three clicks, but I don't remember if i actually did that this time. As ElanC pointed out, the manual states that you can clear/reset the message by holding down the SEL/RESET button for a few seconds.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by biotech_chris
It's actually a pressure sensor. You may, or may not notice, as it's almost silent, but a small unit generates pressure inside the fuel system. When the pressure falls, the sensor reports. It often takes several drives, and even a fresh tank of fuel to reset the sensor. There are no fume sensors in the vehicle.

If the sesor reports for more than a few days worth of driving, like Shaun mentioned, you may want to have it checked.

Chris.
I have had vehicles with both types of sensors. My truck actually has a pressure sensor and a vapor sensor. I had the vapor sensor replace in the truck. I wasn't actually sure if the HCH II had one or the other or both. Thanks for the info chris, I'll keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: "Check Fuel Cap" message in 06 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands