Does a hybrid car make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Does a hybrid car make sense?

Hi everyone. New here, and after reading many threads, I've come to the conclusion that it is hard to just come to a conclusion! There are many mixed views on hybrids. So while I read on more of your stories, I pose this scenario.

My father-in-law thinks a hybrid is the thing for him. After years of telling him there is life after Oldsmobile, he got an Accord. The pendulum swings the other way, and now Hondas are the best! Theory: If it is a Honda, then it automatically gets better mileage and makes more sense than anything (his wife had a Grand Cherokee, and now a Pilot.) So his lease is now coming due, and he is looking at the Civic hybrid.

Note: HOV lane advantage = none

The regular drive: 11.8 city, 46 highway; 57.8 round

The driver: heavy accelerator, panic braker (that guy 3 blocks away just came outta nowhere!-like ) "Cruises" about 5-10 over the limit. I say "cruises" because his gas pedal is an on/off switch. On the highway 65 is 62to67to63to66to62to67 etc - you will have a sore neck and a headache after 10 miles of it.

The deal: A leaser. Will not buy a car. Feels that leasing is "a luxury" he can "afford." He'll drive a car for 3 years max, anything close to 100,000 miles = death in his mind. (He will pay extra for a 30k+ mile-a-year lease deal.)

The technology perspective: He does not so much as own a CD. AM radio is the comfy spot. Can't/won't use a computer. Hates cell phones (uses a pager to get a call, turns on the cell phone, makes the call, then turns the phone back off). If I am around, I am changing the light bulbs (I kid you not!). Can not, will not, recognize manual transmissions - they "never should have been invented!"

His annual mileage is around 20k-25k when you factor in the above commute x 6 days a week (Sundays are for more than lawn mowing!), plus frenquent irregular trips to see clients and to court (lawyer.)

He's the guy who will go 40 miles out of his way to go to the office to open mail if he has a free hour and a half, just to get back to the area he was alreay in for another appointment. (Yes, all this on a limited mile lease!)

Does a leased hybrid make any sense for this driver? Is the majority of highway miles an automatic downfall?

Thanks for your opinions!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned
Default The Short Reply

If anyone leases hybrids, that's going to be a hard find.

Sounds like he drives something like I did when I first got my 2000 Insight. I'd expect his mpg to be about 10% under the EPA for highway.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Does a hybrid car make sense?

Originally Posted by MX-5.0
Does a leased hybrid make any sense for this driver? Is the majority of highway miles an automatic downfall?
Wow.... I believe you already know the answer to your question

As many people will say: A Civic hybrid is likely NOT a good platform for this driver !!

BUT if we push it a little for the sake of the argument, the hybrids (if any) that would come close to being more suitable to his general expectations for simplicity and performance would be the Accord Hybrid or the new GS Lexus sports sedan.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The Short Reply

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
If anyone leases hybrids, that's going to be a hard find.

Sounds like he drives something like I did when I first got my 2000 Insight. I'd expect his mpg to be about 10% under the EPA for highway.
He has a guy who he gets all of his cars and his familys cars through. (MIDDLE MAN!) This guy will procure a lease, if even through a 3rd party, for him I have no doubts. (Man was he pissed when we bought my wifes Saab without using him - we got that GM employee discount and he thought he could have beat that...whatever!)

Anyhow, 10%ish would be what...mid 40's? Not too terrible, but he claims 34ish for his Accord. The price and insurance will be interesting. We all have USAA for insurance though - they should be decent.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Wow.... I believe you already know the answer to your question

As many people will say: A Civic hybrid is likely NOT a good platform for this driver !!

BUT if we push it a little for the sake of the argument, the hybrids (if any) that would come close to being more suitable to his general expectations for simplicity and performance would be the Accord Hybrid or the new GS Lexus sports sedan.

Cheers;

MSantos
Oh yeah. I know my answer. I'm biased though! I wanted to see what the arguments for it are. I was surprised to see that the Civic Hybrid is better on the hwy mileage. (I'm more familiar with the Toyota all-lectric-until-later setup). So that leans me in the could be good for him direction. IF such a car COULD adapt his driving style, then I'm all for it!

Why would the Accord Hybrid be better? (Forget the Lexus, he could, but he is way too frugal for that.)

Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't it just be easier to find a new wife than deal with this.

In one breath I would like to say everyone should have a hybrid. However, since they are in short demand and it sounds unlikely that he would change his driving habits, why not save the hybird for someone who will appreciate the technology and actual save fuel.

Mike

Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Has he driven one? That should be priority #1 if he's really interested. If he really gets 34mpg out of his Accord then his driving style might not be all that inefficient. (Do you believe it?) I mean, either way he's going to be saving fuel to some extent. But will he be happy? To the dealer for a test drive...

Old 07-31-2006, 01:27 PM

Assuming it's a 2003 Accord 4-cylinder automatic he's replacing, that was only EPA rated for 33 mpg, so if he's really getting 34, he's a hypermiler already and would do great in a hybrid.

I would suspect he's just saying "34-ish" because that's what his sticker said. You should make him actually measure a tank.

But if he's prone to quick changes in velocity, he's not going to do well with any hybrid. Maybe an Accord hybrid. Perhaps a Camry. But the HCH2 doesn't have power to waste on sudden accelerations/deceleration.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

News Just In!

That was fast - he was just quoted $555 / month for a 3 year 60k mile lease. he said no way.

Gonna get another Accord. Just like that. Wow.

And for hte recored - the 34 ish I don't really believe - not the way he drives! he supposedly calulated it. Could have been off a long high way trip - I dont know.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MX-5.0
The driver: heavy accelerator, panic braker (that guy 3 blocks away just came outta nowhere!-like ) "Cruises" about 5-10 over the limit. I say "cruises" because his gas pedal is an on/off switch. On the highway 65 is 62to67to63to66to62to67 etc - you will have a sore neck and a headache after 10 miles of it.
Sounds like he will pick up hypermiling techinques rather quickly.

Quick Reply: Does a hybrid car make sense?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands