Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

I have a 2003 HCH CVT. I've been noticing a problem that seems to be getting worse when starting off from a dead stop. When I press the gas, the car will start to roll forward a little, and then I get a "shudder" from the drive train. It is like the noise you get when you start from a dead stop in a manual transmission car in third gear. The car shakes, the engine bogs, and then it slowly goes. It is worst when starting on an incline.

Does anyone know what this could be, or if it is a common problem with this car/transmission?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Did you just get this car, or have you had it since day one and this is something new?

Old 05-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought it used about a year ago. It has never been in the shop, except for a recall on the programming.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

How many miles on it? Might be due for a transmission fluid exchange.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:47 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Originally Posted by Neil
I bought it used about a year ago. It has never been in the shop, except for a recall on the programming.
Idea here for (You)

Tom Baleno which is one of the Mods here on GH as well as one of the Admin. on www.CleanMPG.com had as I recall this same kinda thing with his 03 HCH I.

He went and had the car checked at the Honda Dealer and what they did as I remember was to do a CVT Service. I Suggest you go have this done A.S.A.P.

I think it might just save you having to Replace the CVT in your HCH I. I have read where it is a Very-Good-Idea to have the CVT Serviced after ????? So many miles on car. Dealer can give you an idea as to the miles between services on the CVT.

I have a 2006 HCH II and when I had the Oil & Filter changed on my last service I also had the CVT Serviced just as a Precaution.

Here are Two-Links to Read:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlight=bucking

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...light=rumbling

Good-Luck and let us know here on the Forum if the Service of the CVT takes care of the (Problem) Please. This could help other Members.

Terry (tiger)

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-19-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added Links Provded by Tom Baleno to me:
Old 05-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Neil:

Take the advice of the previous posters as biblical gospel !!!

This is a well known issue and you will definitely not regret it.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Yeah, first I had my transmission fluid "changed" which did nothing. Then I took it to another dealer and told them the problem. Their diagnosis was to flush the transmission fluid. They did a complete flush 2 times I believe. My transmission has been fine since (And i beat on it pretty hard sometimes). BTW, the second dealer did both flushes for free.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had a 2003 CVT Hybrid Civic that had the same problem. It is a problem with some sort of start up clutch. They replaced my Transmission for free under extended warranty.

This is a common problem for the 2003 Civic CVT. IMHO, They should replace it for free. I think that they fixed the problem for 2004 and up, but time will tell.

Have the dealer replace it under warranty. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just got it back from the dealer- he did a fluid flush and performed a 'brunish procedure' (whatever that is). Said the 'brunish procedure' 'conditions' the transmission bands to the new fluid.

Regardless, it is fixed and cost $200. 11 quarts of fluid. I noticed in the manual that it recommends replacing the fluid at 48k. My car is at 60k.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From a previous post of similar problem:

Have your dealership (Honda) look up K.B. Ref# 11560 (Title: CVT SHUDDER @ACCEL R&D PROCEDURE (R&R FLUID, BURNISH))

The procedure in the above ref explains how to address this issue.

Quick Reply: Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands