Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Originally Posted by Neil
Just got it back from the dealer- he did a fluid flush and performed a 'brunish procedure' (whatever that is). Said the 'brunish procedure' 'conditions' the transmission bands to the new fluid.

Regardless, it is fixed and cost $200. 11 quarts of fluid. I noticed in the manual that it recommends replacing the fluid at 48k. My car is at 60k.
Hi Neil,

Glad things worked out for (You).

Terry (tiger)

Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

Originally Posted by Neil
I have a 2003 HCH CVT. I've been noticing a problem that seems to be getting worse when starting off from a dead stop. When I press the gas, the car will start to roll forward a little, and then I get a "shudder" from the drive train. It is like the noise you get when you start from a dead stop in a manual transmission car in third gear. The car shakes, the engine bogs, and then it slowly goes. It is worst when starting on an incline.

Does anyone know what this could be, or if it is a common problem with this car/transmission?
Had this issue also when I bought my 06 civic hybrid. The lady for sure thought she sold me a lemon... I asked my mechanic to flush trans fluid and refill with Honda fluid. It stopped immediately. Honda's only like Honda fluid. Especially transmission fluid! Hope this helps someone.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting a 'shudder' from the tranny when starting off..

ARISE ZOMBIE THREAD ARISE!!!!

Hello Elizabeth.

I suspect that after TWELVE YEARS, folks have moved on, but I'm glad you got your HCH2 CVT sorted out. You are absolutely correct at least about the CVT fluid. The other juices... not so much.