Hello and a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hello and a question

Hey Everyone!

I just got into this hybrid game since I now have a 65-mile round trip commute. Gas prices are killer and so it was time to try something different.

I managed to pick up an 04 Honda Civic Hybrid, MT with 114k. Pretty clean overall, runs great!

My question is - what are some good things for a first-time hybrid guy to know? I'm trying to read all I can about how to drive it most effectively, keep it maintained and all, but I can't find a great "first timer" thread. Any suggestions? Also, I know there is a recommended valve adjustment around 100k. My car has 114 and I don't have any service records to know if it's been done. Is this pretty easy DIY? I'd rather save the coin, I'm fairly handy with a wrench but have not done a valve adjustment.

Also, are there any things I can do to make my battery last as long as possible? I don't have any errors or any issues yet, it works great - but I'd rather avoid a $3k replacement... Thanks in advance and glad to be here!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Hello and a question

Hello and welcome,

You can do a forum search to find info on the topics you are interested in. For example I typed in "valve adjustment Honda", and one of the threads found might be useful to you. There are some very informative older posts by cbxtc6 with pics missing, but links in posts on page 3 have photos for the HCH 1. Keep in mind there are now 3 generations of Honda Civic Hybrid. On page 2 of the thread there is info from Mendel on the second-generation model. The 2004 that you have is the first-generation. There are separate forums here for each generation of HCH:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ng-belt-13095/

For advice on getting the most mpg out of your car:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...igh-mpg-26580/

Good luck with your car. So far I am very happy with mine.

Also, check out~

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/

Last edited by Gairwyn; 04-16-2012 at 11:24 AM.