Michelin Killed the Mileage Star

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:59 PM

Lots of good info, as usual

Thanks for the link billyt1963. I just took a quick look at the greenseal.org site after looking at the pdf (boy those B381's do stand out there right at the top of the list) and it looks really cool. I will definitely check it out more.

I agree the Michelin Energy looks like a good choice, I actually took a closer look at them when I was researching the tires online, but according to Michelin's website, it doesn't look like they make it with a 14in diameter.

I must admit to a slight case of "mileage envy" with regards to those of you to whom snow, sleet and freezing rain are things to be seen only on tv or in books

But unfortunately; Too LRR + Suddenly Snowy/Icy Road = Car In Ditch

It's a tradeoff. Safety vs Mileage. Safety won. Besides, it's not THAT bad. I'm still getting 550 miles a tank. And that will probably come up in the spring.

Finally, to Lifespeed, I might be wrong, but won't changing the profile on the tire mess up the MPG calculation. Something you might want to consider.

Mark

Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by mrkcohen@Dec 14th 2004 @ 11:59 PM
Finally, to Lifespeed, I might be wrong, but won't changing the profile on the tire mess up the MPG calculation. Something you might want to consider.

Mark
You have to change to a larger-diameter wheel (ea$y with aftermarket Honda support) and calculate that your new combination has a similar diameter.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 PM

Lifespeed:

That's a pretty neat tool. Plugging in the smallest size Energy (205/65R15) yields about a 1.3in larger diameter compared to the stock HCH size with an actual speed of 68.5MPH @ 65MPH on the gauge. The difference gets larger from there.

As usual a solution can be found at GreenHybrid.com.

MC

Old 12-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hi!
My B381's still have lots of tread at 30K miles, and I agree with the comments about poor traction. I've factored it into my driving, though.
On the Civic_Hybrid Yahoo! group, a couple of owners have installed
Michelin HydroEdge tires, with no mileage penalty and MUCH better traction, on the original rims.
Check it out.
Dan