Mustang GT owner thinking about HCH? Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Question Mustang GT owner thinking about HCH? Comments?

Hi all,
I currently own a 2006 Mustang GT. I just had to get the car after a stint in Iraq due to the fact that I had previously owned a '65 Mustang for over 10 years. However, the reality of 21MPG and a 25 mile commute (one-way) staring me in the face is changing my desire for the Mustang. Add in the fact that it can't carry my family of five and there aren't a lot of positives for the Mustang. I get tons of great comments where ever I go and it does wonderful smoky burnouts,,, but that's about all it's good for.

Are there any for muscle car owners in here that regret their decision to buy an HCH? I'm going to the dealer on Monday to buy one before the full credit runs out this year and need reassurance that I'm making the right decision. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mustang GT owner thinking about HCH? Comments?

I don't know about muscle cars but I am a former owner of 3 Pontiac Grand Prix. Yes I must say the sound and feel of the engine was empowering the mpg weren't the best. Of course I have aged since then and now I am more inclined toward saving at the pump. Although I did not jump directly from the Grand Prix to the Civic Hybrid, between the two I owned a Pontiac Vibe (purchased primarily to save on fuel).

In the 7 months since I purchased the HCH there has not been any regrets, I love this car.

p.s. yes I have "gunned" the HCH it is not the same as the GP but she can go, but the mpg visibly drop right in front of you. It all part of the car telling you it's a no-no.

Good luck on your purchase but be aware that some are not getting any or all their tax credits due to the AMT. You can run a quick test at turbotax (there are a few glitches yet but it is just a test) luckily they did leave the AMT at last years levels so if you have a tax program for 2006 that will work as a test.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by okie mom
Good luck on your purchase but be aware that some are not getting any or all their tax credits due to the AMT. You can run a quick test at turbotax (there are a few glitches yet but it is just a test) luckily they did leave the AMT at last years levels so if you have a tax program for 2006 that will work as a test.

Thanks for the tip on turbo tax.. I'm trying it right now. My gut says that AMT won't hit me because I only take the standard deduction, but it's a smart idea to make sure.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If your aim is completely to have a family car and have good fuel economy then I would steer you toward an Accord or Toyota Camry non or hybrid.

Having 5 people in the Civic will be very cramped even with kids. Now some might say here that FE is more important but I will tell you safety trumps FE any day.

Now if you had just three or four people in the car then I would say go for the Civic.

Since you are a muscle car person I can tell you the MPG you will get in the HCH will not be much different then what you are getting in your Mustang if your numbers are right.

You will need to practice a light foot on the gas and drive more conservatively.

Think about your purchase I am not telling to go for it but I am not telling you not to go for it

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Part Time Hybrids

If your human cargo consists of children the there should be plenty of room. If the rear seat riders complain ask then if they'd rather be strapped to a Mustang roof

Even with a lead foot you can't do any worse than the Mustang.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by flyer351
Are there any for muscle car owners in here that regret their decision to buy an HCH? I'm going to the dealer on Monday to buy one before the full credit runs out this year and need reassurance that I'm making the right decision.
Hi flyer351;

If you are still attached to the visceral "need for speed" then the HCH may not be the car for you. Its not that it cannot achieve illegal speeds, it is just that the focus of its design and technology is on fuel economy and environmental responsibility... besides a 0-60 in 12 seconds is nothing to write home about.
This stands in total contrast to your Mustang and it would require an equally dramatic transformation of your driving habits (not to mention your willingness to learn) in order for it to be a good match.

The HCH is also one of the safest cars on the road and that along with a willing owner will be the basis for a very safe and responsible combination.

The only other alternate choice to the HCH that I would recommend is a Toyota Prius. These two cars are the two absolute best options if your intentions are to save fuel, save money, pollute less and have greater resale value and reliability - all in one package.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

It will be a really big jump in HP. You won't get any smoky burnouts in the Civic Hybrid. If saving money is the most important thing to you, then it's the right choice to get the HCHII. As for arbittan's comment on safety, it seems completely unfounded...the 8th generation Civics (not just the hybrid) are among the safest cars on the road in a crash. I've been in a really nasty crash in my 07 HCHII and I walked out unaffected at all, no muscle pains even. As for the car, it looked bad. Isn't the car supposed to take a hit instead of the person? It did...flawlessly.

As a side effect of swapping cars, your emissions will go down dramatically in comparison to the Mustang.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Think green.

I think the best thing to do would be to take the whole family for a test drive in the HCH. Then you'd know if everyone would fit comfortably, and you'd get an idea if the car has enough power for you.
A friend of mine found that her family of 5 didn't fit in the Civic and she went for something bigger.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Energy Independence

Flyer351 (Cleveland or Windsor?),

I went from driving a Jaguar everyday to a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid! You can make the switch, too.
Whether you'll be happy or not depends on you, and your expectations.
110hp; 0-60 in 12+ seconds. Let that sink in. The car isn't excessively sluggish, but it's certainly different than 0-60 in 5 or 6 seconds. If you can't handle that, move on to another car. This is a very different animal, built with the potential of very high MPG. I average 46+ MPG.

I know you have very little time left if you want to have a chance at the full Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH2) tax credit, but...
(1) You may not get any tax credit anyway (AMT);
(2) The HCH2 will still get 1/2 the credit for the next full quarter;
(3) Depending on your budget, other similar hybrid options exist (HCH2, Prius, Camry, Altima - in a few states), and even SUV hybrids (Escape/Mariner/Tribute, Highlander, Saturn Vue);
(4) ANY of these will net you better MPG than in your Mustang GT, some considerably better. The key here, is a good fit for YOU.
(5) If you haven't test-driven any of these options, or at least taken a good look at and considered them, you may find yourself making not the best decision.

I'd suggest taking a hard look at least at the Prius and the Camry (and Altima, if available to you), since you're very interested in the HCH2. You can even READ UP a lot about them here - and I did. I knew almost EXACTLY what to expect before I got the car from reading tons of other owners' experiences. Just dive in to several of the vehicle-specific forums here on GreenHybrid.
IF the HCH2 (and the hope for the tax credit) are the ONLY way you see the budget allowing you to make this switch - I say go for it! It's a great car for MPG, if driven with MPG in mind. It is very safe (despite arbittan's comment - I think he just meant that larger equates to safer. Not always true , but probably somewhat so in this case - HCH2 vs. Camry). It can even be fun, but it's certainly NOT fast. If you are a jack-rabbit off-the-line, lane-changing-gotta-get-in-front-of the-guy-in-front-of-me-guy, who usually drives 75+ miles per hour, then arbittan is correct in that you won't come even close to the EPA rating with this car. The HCH2 (and other hybrids, too) rewards economical driving and punishes hard driving. Most cars do this, some more so than others. I believe the HCH2 is one that rewards/punishes driving style more than many other cars.
Now a Camry (or even a Prius) IS a larger car inside than the HCH2. The Camry Hybrid is also a good choice to make, I believe, if you want to tip-toe into the hybrid world, rather than jump into it.
I love my HCH2, and most others here love theirs as well. The Pruis, Camry, Altima, Escape owners do, also. The hybrids are good at what they do - save gas (& emissions) vs. a similar non-hybrid vehicle.
Let us know what you decide

Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the HCH doesn't work out, I would see if the dealer has any 2007 HAHs left. They have more power and are more roomy(i think).

Quick Reply: Mustang GT owner thinking about HCH? Comments?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands