my IMA recall experience =/

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default my IMA recall experience =/

this is my first post -
I took my HCHII in for an oil change a couple of months ago. When the dealer punched in my VIN, I was told that my VIN fell into the range for an IMA recall.

Dealer said he would order the part and call me back...

Well that never happened.

So I took the inititive and made an appt (after I got my recall notice in the mail from Honda).

So Friday morning I took my car in. Some 6/7 hrs later they call to tell me that they took the dash apart (after they uploaded my odometer reading to their computer) and put in the new part. When they re-essembled the dash (new part and all) they started the download process, when *surprise* their computer crashed.

Now I'm stuck in limbo.

They can't manually set the odometer, and Honda tech couldn't get it to work after many tries. They don't want to give me my car b/c my odometer reads 0. So to prevent my car from being labelled as "unknown milage", I'm at Honda's mercy.

So they put me in a crappy rental car.

Now it's Monday and I had to call for an update (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were going to call me...). Craig, the service manager, says that they have to take the part OUT and send it to Honda, so Honda can MANUALLY reset the odometer to the correct milage and then send it back so the service center can AGAIN put the part back in.

This seems completely ridiculous. I would think Honda would have some sort of backup plan for computer crashes?! I with in IT and understand sh*t happens, but it really freaks me out that Honda is so unprepared for this!

Has anyone experienced this?! I am the *only* one?!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Default Re: my IMA recall experience =/

They could just put it in at 0 and put a sticker on your door marking the discrepancy.
They used to do that all the time with engine swaps and swapped odometers.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Snazzy, take a deep breath and stay calm.

Being out of the Honda sucks-no two ways about it. Even in the best situations, sometimes firmware cannot be updated and you end up with a "doorstop." It's rare but it happens no matter what the device. Ideally, Honda's regional service center should have sent out a new odometer or computer instead of sending it out to be reprogrammed.

If the dealer is not being cooperative, then ask to speak to the division or regional service manager. However, what they are doing sounds reasonable. If you want, ask the dealer to loan you a Honda instead of a rental. If they have a demo on the lot, they might be more willing and Honda will reimburse them.

If they refuse to give you the division or regional service manager, call Honda in Torrance on the 800 number, give them the VIN and explain the situation.

Tom expalined the other situation they can do and that is very normal as well.

Good luck and please let us all know how it turns out.

Best,

Michael

Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hmm. Well I have been thinking this one over. Here are my concerns. Maybe their compuetr crashed and maybe it didnt. Maybe they just cant get the original mileage reloaded becuase someone messed up. A computer crash does not imply data loss as you know. And their computer should be fixable likety split. Was data really lost, or are they simply covering up someones mistake, or perhaps they dont know how to do what they are trying to do. I mean how many recall letters for this specific issue ( is it the 62 mile bug BTW?) have they addressed?

Assuming its on the up and up however, the only remaining concern is the removal and replacement of the dash. This is something I hope to avoid for the life of my car ownership of this vehicle. I dont believe that this car can ever be exactly the same as off the factory line after the dash is removed and replaced. I am basing this after looking at the PDF file on the XM sat radio install. Sheesh. No thanks. What if a new problem crops up now?

Hopefully this will all workout for you however, Keep us posted.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snazzy

This seems completely ridiculous.
I agree. I would demand that they set the odometer to zero and give me the car. Once they figure out how to reset it manually, you can bring the car in. They can read the odometer, add to it the previous reading, and manually set it to the sum of both numbers.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Snazzy,

I had exactly the same problem (well, my dealer did). The dealer could not make the upgrade work, and sent the whole instrument cluster back to Honda. Honda fixed it, and returned it to my dealer... took a whole week. Considering the dash had to be disassembled, I did not want them to take it apart twice. Everything worked out ok in the end. BTW, the part that they ordered for me was a computer CD with the new program for the tachometer module on it.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster
Snazzy, take a deep breath and stay calm.
thanks michael. i was getting stressed out about it. mainly b/c ive had my car 6months and now the dealer cant correct what should be an easy fix.
I do feel like they are leaving out some info in all this. This wasn't a firmware update (as far as I know)??
ill take a deep breatch the next time i have to get into the rental

Originally Posted by rysa4
the only remaining concern is the removal and replacement of the dash
yeah...the idea that they took the dash apart TWICE really concerns me....btw, its not the 62mile bug. They said the IMA isn't displaying the correct info. ie. it isnt showing me when the battery is being charged or used correctly...

Originally Posted by Kephra
Snazzy,

I had exactly the same problem (well, my dealer did). The dealer could not make the upgrade work, and sent the whole instrument cluster back to Honda. Honda fixed it, and returned it to my dealer... took a whole week. Considering the dash had to be disassembled, I did not want them to take it apart twice. Everything worked out ok in the end. BTW, the part that they ordered for me was a computer CD with the new program for the tachometer module on it.
this was an upgrade or was it part of Honda's recall? Probably when all is said and done this whole process will take a week. If there is an upside to all this, I have definately realized how much I heart my car (and miss it......)

Seems pretty ridiculous that they can't perform system upgrades w/o taking out the entire dash?

I'll let yall know what (if any) updates I get....

Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
I agree. I would demand that they set the odometer to zero and give me the car. Once they figure out how to reset it manually, you can bring the car in. They can read the odometer, add to it the previous reading, and manually set it to the sum of both numbers.
The service manager said he won't let me have the car until the odometer is corrected or I get the "UNKNOWN MILEAGE" tag on the car.
(i type it in caps b/c he paused, then slowed down and said that...almost expected to hear a cackling laugh after he said that....very dramatic...i love when dealers dumb things down for helpless women)

Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Energy Independence!

What is next, the blue screen of death?

"Your engine has caused an exception error at G5F3:H40C9 and will now shut down. Press Brake+Shift+Horn to restart your vehicle. The trunk may open and you will lose any unsecured luggage"

I remember a few years ago, a joke circulating all over the internet. It went by the name of "What would happen if GM built cars like Microsoft" or something like that.

Remember that? It was hilarious..... until it actually happens to someone, and it no longer is a joking matter.

It is not only Honda... BMWs have been plagued by a notoriosly nefarious computerized user interface.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

just got a call back from the dealer (after I had to call and leave a message AGAIN)...my car is ready!!!

service manager is out sick today, so I have very limited info from the guy filling in.

I'll probably have to call and harass him for details this week sometime.

BUT - I can pick up my car today! (actually won't be able to get it till tomorrow cuz of scheduling conflicts, but still...I am very excited!)

Only one more day in the crappy Sentra!!! yay

I'll let yall know if my dash falls off cuz they had to take it apart so many times =)

Quick Reply: my IMA recall experience =/

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands