Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast
Post Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

Hi, this is my first post here...I anticipate buying an '05 or maybe springing for a brand spanking new HCH within the next month or so. I have been trolling the forums for a while now and have not found exactly what I am looking for so I would like to get some feedback from ya'll.

First things first: I am in the US Army and I am currently in Germany, so a test drive or two is not an option for me. I have fairly normal driving habits (currently in a 98 BMW with a four banger, I think a 1.4L or so, and it is a small but heavyish station wagon). Before leaving the states I owned a 2000 Civic LX...great little car.

1. For those of you who are NOT into hypermiling, what is your average fuel economy? I am looking for experiences from people who just DRIVE the car...like any other vehicle...

2. Just how much of a pooch is the HCH compared to similar non-hybrid small commuter cars? Noticeable?...liveable?

3. We spend 99 and 44/100s of our driving time inside our vehicles. How satisfied are you with the interior fit and finish of these cars? Has anyone owned (or have some experience with) both a HCHI and a HCHII? Any thoughts?

4. How good are the improvements in soundproofing? In my 2000 LX, that was my biggest complaint. At highway speeds I had to elevate my voice slightly to carry on a conversation due to wind/road noise. (Yes, I am a helicopter pilot, so my hearing is not the world's greatest...however I would like to keep what I have left!)

5. I will actually be doing a lot of highway driving in this car (55-70 speed limits), how does it feel/perform at these speeds? What realistic mileage should I see on the highway? To clarify, my parents/extended family will be about 400 miles from me and I anticipate a ton of weekend trips to see them, so I will drive the car at speed quite a bit...very little around town/stop and go stuff.

Again, I will not drive 30-45 mph, coast, creep over hills, stick a foot out the door to push off of a stoplight, be out-accelerated by people on the sidewalk, etc. I intend to just be a normal driver. I don't expect that I will see the same wild mileage as some of the people here, but for me it is not all about saving a buck or two at the gas station. I want to embrace the new technologies and contribute my small amount to being a good caretaker of the planet we have been given by our Creator. Thanks in advance.

Lyn

Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

I own a 2006 Civic Hybrid which I purchased back in early May of this year. Right now I am approaching 7000 miles. I am not a hardcore hypermiler, but I do average around 50 mpg with minimal effort.

Originally Posted by ChopprJock
1. For those of you who are NOT into hypermiling, what is your average fuel economy? I am looking for experiences from people who just DRIVE the car...like any other vehicle...

I have averaged around 42-46 mpg when I drive the car normally in a mix of highway and city driving. (Keep in mind that I do not have a lead foot.)

2. Just how much of a pooch is the HCH compared to similar non-hybrid small commuter cars? Noticeable?...livable?

I find that 100 hp is plenty for me and I never feel like I need more, even when merging onto a busy interstate at 70 mph. Small, non-hybrid cars like the Honda Fit have similar hp (109 for the Fit).

3. We spend 99 and 44/100s of our driving time inside our vehicles. How satisfied are you with the interior fit and finish of these cars? Has anyone owned (or have some experience with) both a HCHI and a HCHII? Any thoughts?

I find Honda's quality and engineering to be uncompromising in every respect. The fit and finish and quality of the materials used are great. Personally, I really like the look/feel of the upholstery. Back seats are roomy too.

4. How good are the improvements in soundproofing? In my 2000 LX, that was my biggest complaint. At highway speeds I had to elevate my voice slightly to carry on a conversation due to wind/road noise. (Yes, I am a helicopter pilot, so my hearing is not the world's greatest...however I would like to keep what I have left!)

I have read many reviews of the Civic which state that road noise should be minimized more than it is. Personally, I think the interior is perfectly quiet, more so than my CR-V. However, I would wager a guess that it's not as quiet as a $50,000 Lexus.

5. I will actually be doing a lot of highway driving in this car (55-70 speed limits), how does it feel/perform at these speeds? What realistic mileage should I see on the highway? To clarify, my parents/extended family will be about 400 miles from me and I anticipate a ton of weekend trips to see them, so I will drive the car at speed quite a bit...very little around town/stop and go stuff.

Like I said, I don't have any problems passing or going up hills. However, I'm not the type of person that gets a high cruising up a hill at 90 mph in a V8. Your mileage will likely hover in the low 40s on the highway.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:40 AM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Lyn,
I have an 05 HCH (dog_mobile) and like it very much. Here are my comments. My lifetime avg is about 48 but my summer avg is running about 50-52 (we have 10% reformulated fuel here in MA). With MTBE, you will see about a 5% improvement.

My 05 HCH...
If I drive like a normal car, my mpg is in low 40's to high 30's w/AC.
If I drive with a soft foot and take it easy on the highway, 65 or less, then about 50-52 mpg in summer a little lower with AC on. Type of gasoline makes a difference as well. 10% ethanol will deduct about 5% mpg's.

2. Just how much of a pooch is the HCH compared to similar non-hybrid small commuter cars? Noticeable?...liveable?

It moves if you put your foot into it but its no Maxima. Liveable IMO.

Form, fit, function of the 05 is about average, I'm not impressed. Back seat is small but front seats are good. I don't like the environ controls. Some cheapness in looks all around.

The 05 is rather noisy at highway speeds but tolerable. Need to crank up the radio a bit. I would say my 02 Maxima was an 9 and the 05 HCH about a 5 on a scale of 1 -10 with 10 being very quiet.

At those speeds in summer you should see about 45-50 mpg in the 05 probably more in the new 06 IMO. A little more or less with AC on. Winter probably in mid 40's to high 40's mpg. The 05 is very manueverable at speed and with tires pumped up to max sidewall even better. Like driving a little rocket. Nice and tight. IMO

Again, I will not drive 30-45 mph, coast, creep over hills, stick a foot out the door to push off of a stoplight, be out-accelerated by people on the sidewalk, etc. I intend to just be a normal driver. I don't expect that I will see the same wild mileage as some of the people here, but for me it is not all about saving a buck or two at the gas station. I want to embrace the new technologies and contribute my small amount to being a good caretaker of the planet we have been given by our Creator. Thanks in advance.

I think you will see the best mpg performance between 40-55 mph with little or no stopping. I'm amazed that if I fill up the tank or reset the trip meter and drive the backroads at 40-45 my mpg's will be 60-70 with little or no effort.

Lyn

Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Jon & Ralph,

Thanks for the replies. The averages you guys are getting sound pretty darn good to me, actually better than what I thought I would hear.

My concern is that I don't want to have to constantly "take it easy" on the pedal in order to see a good FE number. I am by no means a leadfoot...I just don't want to have to constantly think about what I am doing in order to see a benefit from this type of vehicle.

It seems like the civic has always suffered from wind/road noise. I was really hoping that they (Honda) had made some decent improvements since my last civic.

A little rocket, eh? That sounds good to me...

I may later start trying to milk more and more mileage out of a HCH if I do get one, but right now I am more concerned with being satisfied all around. I loved my 2000 LX, but the road noise did get a bit tiresome over long trips.

Anyone else??

Old 07-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just realized that a said 100 hp for the 2006 hybrid in my post, it's actually a little better - 110 hp (combined gas and electric motor). The regular non-hybrid Civic is 140, but you're mileage will be closer to 30 mpg if you drive more aggressively.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you're looking for a little more hp, you can always take a look at the 2007 Camry Hybrid. Granted your mpg won't be quite as high, but the car does have more hp at 147.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

My concern is that I don't want to have to constantly "take it easy" on the pedal in order to see a good FE number. I am by no means a leadfoot...I just don't want to have to constantly think about what I am doing in order to see a benefit from this type of vehicle.
That's understandable. Also don't be surprised that once you see the impact with the instantaneous FCD and watch your mpg change on the trip meter that you may find yourself wanting to "take it easy". Its almost becomes addicting (but in a fun way of course).

Mike

Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast

I've got 2,000 miles on my 2006 HCH in 2 months and really happy with it. 85% Hwy, 15% city. Consistently get 39-40mpg. AC on drops mpg down 5 as do rolling hills. 45-60mph receive best gas mileage, 70-85mph on rolling hills gets me 35mpg. I've gotten as low as 32 mpg driving 90mph. Driving aggressively in city streets will also drop gas mileage down to 32-35mpg.

Fit and finish of car is excellent, on par with BMW, etc. Interior car noise is slightly worse than EX which I suspect is due to tires.

My other car has over > 3x the horsepower but HCH has adequate power for all conditions, no issues merging in traffic at speed, or on any of the hills in San Francisco. I plan on selling my high horsepower car because I drive the HCH "all" the time and gas savings isn't even the reason I purchase the HCH (wanted car pool sticker). That says alot about the HCH.

If you're not into low emissions and want to continue driving on the aggressive side, the EX will definitely be a better buy in almost every aspect. I'm sure if I try really, really, really hard, I could improve my gas consumption on my HCH but I'd have to drive like a freak'n dweeb and aggrevate everyone around me.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

My average since new last Dec is about 48 mpg.
In May and June when the weather here was warm but not hot I averaged 54 mpg. Now that I'm using the AC a lot it is around 49 mpg. In winter I was in the high 30's so cold does have a bad effect. However the car was also brand new. It will be interesting to compare next winter when I expect to have passed 30,000 miles.

Powerwise the car will never scare you but it moves well with the traffic, accelerates cleanly on to the expressway ands can pass when needed... its pretty good considering how little fuel it is burning.

I think fit and finish are excellent. Way above what one would expect in an economy car. At 17,000 miles I have no rattles or squeaks, everthing works and thanks to the computer that advises when to service the car I have only been to the dealer twice for a total expenditure on service of about $150.

On the highway it is not as smooth and quiet as my Maxima but it is very acceptable. My only complaint is that the seat cushions could be about an inch longer and the handbrake lever should be more recessed in the center console.

I don't do anything special to get mileage except keep an eye on the FE display and use cruise control wherever practical.

I would not hesitate to recommend the car to anybody.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

It seems like the civic has always suffered from wind/road noise. I was really hoping that they (Honda) had made some decent improvements since my last civic.
Lyn;

I can't speak for most HCH-II owners with regards to road and engine noise, but I think my vehicle is incredibly quiet both in the city and reasonable highway speeds. In fact, I find it much quieter than any car I've ever owned including my (2004 Acura EL).

Now, if you inflate the tires to 40psi like many of us do, then the road noise and harshness will increase a little as you will hear (if not feel) the car rolling over the pavement's irregularities more than we would with standard tire pressure.

But despite this, both my wife and my daughter consider our 2006 HCH so quiet that if a trip lasts longer than 15 minutes they usually tend to fall asleep. This is something we rarely achieved with our Acura.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

Again, thanks for the replies. I don't consider myself an "aggressive" driver ('specially over here in Germany where they drive like gangbusters. I had a station wagon pass me tonight on the autobahn that was doing about 140MPH at least! Almost blew me right off the road! Family inside, mom passing something to the backseat where the kids were...and dad turning around to watch...unbelievable)

Anyway, I have driven regular civics, I am contemplating the EX...mainly for the perceived power increase...but I really, really like the hybrid....and it is not all about gas mileage.

How about that digital speedometer in the '06 models? Looks a bit weird in pictures...any glare at night? I cannot wait to get back to the states and finally be able to dig around in the nooks and crannies of these wonderful machines.

One more question if I may? Does anyone have a manual tranny? If so what made you choose it over the CVT? (ok, that was two...but they are related...)

Lyn

Quick Reply: Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands