Question about Thumping sound when I drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Question about Thumping sound when I drive

I've had my Honda Civic Hybrid 08 for just under two years. Have 26000 miles on it already. Just yesterday when I was coming home I noticed a thumping sound as I pulled out of the parking garage to head home.

If I reversed I heard no thumping sound. When I pull forward at any speed I hear that sound.

Any suggestions as to what can be making that noise? Tires appear to be clean, doesn't make that sound if I have the car in park and accelerate.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about Thumping sound when I drive

When I have a hard to identify noise, I have my wife drive it slowly while I stand or walk beside it....but its been a long time since I've had to do that!
Do you drive any gravel roads that might have thrown a rock into your disc brakes - though thats usually a grinding noise... do you hear it or can you feel it?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds like a bad tire. I would run it in for a check? Could be CVT? Hope not. What are you pressing you tires to? Hal

Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you going straight, or in a turn? If in a turn it might CV Joints, going bad, flinging grease, or both. I can't for the life of me remember what that acronym stands for (maybe Constantant Velocity), but these joints are at "elbows" in the drive shafts, between engine and wheels, encased in flexible rubber boots. There's an inside and outside one on each side.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my 09 Civic Hybrid. I took three trips to the dealer to fix. They told me the alignment was off in the rear because I hit something. Nonsense I noticed cupping on the back tires after the first 150 miles on the car. The dealer said they adjusted the rear camber. I say they replaced parts. I'm not happy with Honda for not telling me what the repair was.