Replacing Honda Civic battery pack with ford fusion pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Replacing Honda Civic battery pack with ford fusion pack

I was searching online for battery packs and I found a shop that offers replacing my honda civic battery cells with reconditioned ford fusion battery cells, I called him and he said the fusion cells will last longer and cost less and he is giving 6 months warranty for them.

Since it is going to cost me a third of the brand new honda battery pack I'm willing to give it a try but first I wanted to see of anyone has any advice.

I appreciate your feedback.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing Honda Civic battery pack with ford fusion pack

Likely BS, but which Civic do you have?

Old 07-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Likely BS, but which Civic do you have?
I have the 2008 model but why is it bs?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've owned 2X 06, which is identical to the 2008.

The 06-08 HCH2 is the 2nd worst battery in the world. The first is the 09-11 HCH2

Sanyo made the cells for the 06-11 HCH2.

Sanyo made the cells for the Ford Fusion.

Why would the same cells perform better than the same cells?

The key is the 6 month warranty. These short warranties exist to give the supplier the opportunity to put out junk that doesn't last. You're not likely to get more than that. In fact, you're not likely to make it to 6 months without at least one replacement.

The HCH2 battery is comprised of 11 subpacks containing 12 cells welded in series. These are two sticks of 6 cells welded to a bus bar at one end.

According to this:

http://hackaday.com/2013/11/15/charl...usion-battery/

The Fusion pack is comprised of subpacks that are 4 cells in series attached at one end totaling 8 cells. What becomes certain is that these are by no means drop-in replacements. Cutting and welding become necessary. Unless one is setup to do this on a production basis (I know of no one doing this regularly), the craftsmanship is too variable to yield consistent results.

I don't know much about the Fusion. It's possible different years have different configurations, but I highly doubt they ever used the 12 cell subpack the HCH2 used.

What you will have in the end is a custom Frankenpack that absolutely no one else will work on, nor will they accept it as a core when you go to replace it when this doesn't last.

It's almost a certainty that the $1000 they are going to charge doesn't cover the cost of the hours and hours of labor associated with the precision work required to do it properly.

Your better bet would be a reconditioned battery from Bumblebee with a 1 year warranty for $1550 that you can install yourself or a remanufactured battery from Bumblebee for $2295 with a 3 year warranty.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Beautiful and patient work here, S Keith, laying it out and repeating as needed. Bad outcome. Must have been scary as hell. I do the pack end work with the pack laying flat, not upright. I do not to drop something and have it make a circuit.