Should I recharge the AC myself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I recharge the AC myself?

For the most part, yes. It's hard to say conclusively without checking the high side pressure as well with a full manifold gauge set.

However, you should also be checking out the sight glass. If there are no bubbles, you're not low.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't see the the sight glass. Where is it located?
Here are pictures of my high pressure port and I don't see a sight glass close to it.
Also, yesterday, the malfunction indicator lamp came up (see second picture). Could it have something to do with the fact that some refrigerant was sprayed on the engine when the hose was not well screwed? I wiped most of the drops but not everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails Should I recharge the AC myself?-img_20180128_144215.jpg   Should I recharge the AC myself?-img_20180128_144343.jpg  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:45 PM

Hmm... mine was right by the high pressure switch visible in your picture. Wonder if it was just the 06?

Get your codes checked.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

I checked the code and it indicated a problem with the catalytic converter. I cleared the fault, drove about 10 miles, did the diagnostic again, and there was no fault. Am I OK?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by villemiami
I checked the code and it indicated a problem with the catalytic converter. I cleared the fault, drove about 10 miles, did the diagnostic again, and there was no fault. Am I OK?
Note that I indicated you should get your codes checked. "a problem with the catalytic converter" is not a code. There are two cats in the car and different codes mean different things.

Was it P0420?

If so, your upper cat is failing. If emissions are required in your area, you'll likely need to do something about it. You can try an anti-fouler on the downstream O2 sensor, or you can replace the upper cat with an aftermarket.

In extremely rare cases, O2 sensors can be the cause, but they will usually throw codes specific to the O2 sensors themselves.

Lastly, if your car is burning oil, that contributes to cat failure and can eventually plug them.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it was P0420. I used the Torque app, which sent me to this link: https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0420/
Towards the bottom, there is the section "How do you troubleshoot P0420?", and in step 2, it says: "If no additional codes are present, clear code P0420, and operate the vehicle normally for a few miles to allow the PCM to enter closed loop operation, before scanning the system again to see if the code returns.".
I had no additional code, and the code didn't return.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM

P0420 usually returns. It's an indication that the cat is performing below the efficiency threshold. It's possible there was a combination of related factors that triggered it, but they usually come back.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. I had to replace one of the cats in one of my '06s. Wasn't that hard to do, but I ended up spending a lot of money on that car.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK, I'll check again in 1 week. Now, the AC is not cold anymore, after the refrigerant leak when I wanted to measure the pressure. I was thinking, maybe I should reproduce another of this leak to remove more of the old refrigerant before adding new refrigerant?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 AM

The only reason to remove the old refrigerant is if it's contaminated. Refrigerant does not break down or degrade UNLESS it's contaminated. If it's contaminated, you should punt and go to a Honda dealership for evac and recharge.

Note that it is illegal to deliberately vent R-134a.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had to unplug the battery. P0420 came back. Emissions are not required in my area, should I still do something about it?

Quick Reply: Should I recharge the AC myself?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands