Wow, we need Traction Control.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Wow, we need Traction Control.

While my HCHII is in the shop I have an '09 Chevy Malibu.

It has Traction Control. It does quite a bit better in the snow than our HCHII's with snow tires. I am pretty amazed actually. There have been a couple of times when the HCH would plow straight when I was trying to turn and I'd have to tap the gas pedal to bring the front around. The Malibu just plows the direction my steering wheel is pointed.

Traction Control (and Stability Control) will definitely be on any future car purchases.

nf

Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Wow, we need Traction Control.

<gloat> My 2009 HCHII has traction control (Honda calls it VSA) </gloat>

That is why I traded my 2007 HCHII for a 2009 HCHII, that and the USB music slot in the armrest.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I would be willing to trade traction control for a license to eject stupid people from the roadways. Guess what, folks... 4-wheel drive is great for getting you moving, but it doesn't do jack to help you turn or stop!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by noflash
While my HCHII is in the shop I have an '09 Chevy Malibu.

It has Traction Control. It does quite a bit better in the snow than our HCHII's with snow tires. I am pretty amazed actually. There have been a couple of times when the HCH would plow straight when I was trying to turn and I'd have to tap the gas pedal to bring the front around.

"The Malibu just plows the direction my steering wheel is pointed."

That's probably more due to stability control, "YAW" control, rather than TC/Trac. TC would simply apply braking and dethrottle the engine to prevent wheelspin/slip due to too much engine toirque being applied for roadbed conditions.

Traction Control (and Stability Control) will definitely be on any future car purchases.

nf
I have VERY little doubt that your HCHII already has TC/Trac, TC has become a basic safety requirement on FWD and F/AWD vehicles in the past 5-6 years. And I'd be somewhat surprised if it doesn't have stability control.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

it doesn't. seriously.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

sad but true.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:36 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by wwest
I have VERY little doubt that your HCHII already has TC/Trac, TC has become a basic safety requirement on FWD and F/AWD vehicles in the past 5-6 years. And I'd be somewhat surprised if it doesn't have stability control.
Honda Civics before 2009 did not offer it. Only some EX and HCH offer it for 2009.

My 2006 Honda Ridgeline had it. Every Honda Ridgeline has had it. It was standard.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I suppose the extra 20% weight of the midsize Malibu and the bigger tire patch also had something to do with traction.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One of the biggest complaints I have personally heard is about Prius is the traction control, too aggressive, prevents acceleration from a side street/shoulder if there is gravel/sand. I know of a lady at work who has a Prius who parks at the foot of her driveway in winter because the Prius can't make it up there in winter (her old non hybrid Civic did).

I was out and about yesterday in the Snow, we have had about 3 ft. in the last week, no issues at all….as from the car moving about (lots of start and stop) the streets are packed snow. Now since most the hybrid stuff is in hiding (high was 7, low -1) and the fact that most the streets are near gridlock with creeping traffic mileage has dropped to a lovely 29.5 Ugggh. I do have the standard Dunlap tires BTW.

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 12-24-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: corrected a word
Old 12-26-2008, 06:59 PM

VSA can be disabled in Hondas. The Prius' can't be turned off. That's unforgivable.

nf