Two Weather-Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Two Weather-Related Questions

Hi All,

Two questions for the Green HCH community who have the pleasure of experiencing winter weather:

1) What are your tricks for keeping your windshield clear to prevent the need to warm-up the vehicle to melt frost/ice?

2) If you have a block heater, what do you do to protect the plug connection from the elements when you have it connected to power?

I realize that these are not necessarily "tough" questions, but I have not come up with methods for either question that make me entirely happy and I seek the wisdom of the community. Thanks and a happy holiday season to all.

Shaun

Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Two Weather-Related Questions

Park in a garage! Sorry, I couldn't resist that comment.

I used to put a sheet of heavy plastic over my windshield and tuck it inside the doors. I would occasionally spray the plug with WD40, and mine has a built in cover on it. I have heard of people also using heaters with a fan that plug into the accessory plug.

Sorry, I have a heated garage, so no problems, at least when I leave home.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I put a very thin application of silicon dielectric compound on the block heater chord prongs, plus a similar app. on the inside of the plug's protective cover, to facilitate pushing the cover back on when not in use. It's readily available from Auto Parts stores, at least used to be. It looks like a tube of toothpaste, lasts forever.

If you forget to unplug before driving off it helps too.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-24-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: continuity, spelling
Old 12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought an OEM car cover. I've yet to have to scrape my windows. It looks like it sat in the garage all night.

Jess

Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ice scraper. Windshield washer fluid.

nf