Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Length of "Incubation" time for mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Length of "Incubation" time for mileage?

Hi I'm a new Hybrid-er and I must say it's quite amazing; however I am a little disappointed by the mileage (39.9 MPG, 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid) at 3000 miles. I'm just wondering what type of "incubation" period should I expect for full mileage?

Also are there any after-market battery/electic modifications (like for the Prius) for the HCH?

Thanks a lot

Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Length of "Incubation" time for mileage?

As many would suggest to you, the milleage you get is still perfectly OK. But despair not, you came to the right place.

If you spend some time reading though the relevant threads in this forum you'll no doubt gather some valuable tips that will enable you to get great milleage and have lots of fun at the same time.

May I recommend the following excellent article as a good point to start getting the most out of your 2006 Civic Hybrid:

Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques to the HCH-II

Regards, and welcome.

MSantos

Old 07-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm just wondering what type of "incubation" period should I expect for full mileage?
I've heard most say around between 3-15,000 miles.

I myself saw no increase up until around 60,000 but I drive my car EXTREMELY lightly. I can't remember the last time I had her up to 70MPH.
-Steve

Old 07-15-2006, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast

There is no "incubation time" for hybrids. The key to achieving maximum MPG is to drive at the speed where you take advantage of the hybride battery's electric power. For the Toyota Prius this is between 38 and 41 MPH on highways.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by IndyDoug
There is no "incubation time" for hybrids. The key to achieving maximum MPG is to drive at the speed where you take advantage of the hybride battery's electric power. For the Toyota Prius this is between 38 and 41 MPH on highways.
While there's truth in your statement, Hot_Georgia is also right about the break-in period (at least for Honda Civic Hybrids). From his experience, I would gather that it may indeed be that long - especially if it is driven carefully - as he clearly does.

Unlike the Prius, the Honda's IMAs typically give the gas engine a predominant if not permanent role in moving the vehicle. So changes in fuel economy over a period of time are more evident and measurable.

However, as I mentioned previously, nothing prevents us from applying some techniques to help maximize fuel economy well before completing that break-in.

Cheers

MSantos

Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check this article out:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I am not sure if I totally agree. But there are some valid points there.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

It's not so much car "break-in" as driver education....Louis

Old 07-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by sno779
It's not so much car "break-in" as driver education....Louis
BINGO

I've got less than two tankfuls under my belt on my HCH-II. I get 43 MPG. my drive IS mostly highway. But if you're getting under 40 MPG and it's not heavy stop-n-go traffic all the time - you may not be driving with the best fuel economy in mind. There IS supposedly a SPIKE in MPG anywhere from 3K to 8K miles (from reading on this site), but don't expect that to take you from 40 MPG to 50 MPG. Ain't gonna happen. Maybe 42 or 43 MPG.

I believe we can learn a lot from some of these guys' tips and techniques, but I will probably never achieve the ultra-high FE that some do for several reasons:
(1) I will not use MORE fuel by taking a much LONGER route just so that I can get better MPG numbers. MORE gas used is simply that in my mind - and makes no sense on an everyday basis. As a challenge to see "what's the best I could possibly do" maybe, but not for an everyday drive.
(2) I will not drive 15-20 MPH UNDER the speed limit. My time is more valuable, and the "making yourself a nuisance and a danger" factor is too great for me. I try to mostly keep up with the right-hand-side lanes traffic (usually around the speed limit).
(3) I will not coast with the engine off. Safety factor.
(4) I will not drive in the summer without AIR. Texas is just too hot.

If I can get my MPG up to 45-46, I'll be happy.

What's your goal? If it's the EPA rating of 47/49, ask yourself if you ever got the EPA rating from previous vehicles. If not, don't expect it from the HCH, unless you change your driving habits (like I have to as well).

I suspect that folks that drive their HCH's about like regular drivers would(that's me), probably get in the low to mid 40's MPG. So you're in the ball-park.
Welcome aboard! There are a lot of really sharp, motivated, and kind people here. Stick around and you'll see.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I agree that the "break-in" of the engine isn't likely to show a significant difference over time. It happens within the first tank. Until recently my 1st tank on my Tacoma was the best tank. Your driving technique should make much more of a difference.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is also the "break-in" of the new tires. New tires can easily take 8 mpg off your potential mileage for the few thousand miles.