Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Saving Gas on Long Trips in Hot Weather (Extreme)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Saving Gas on Long Trips in Hot Weather (Extreme)

Don't put the windows down, don't turn on the AC! This way not only are you not hurting your FE, but you will become dehydrated and not have to stop for restroom breaks! Those restroom breaks waste gas!

I inadvertently did this yesterday. Went from OH to MD, 415 miles, 8 hours (Real Slow!), 61 mpg on the dash. I thought it was pretty good for crossing the Appalachians. I still have less than 3000 miles on my car, so I think I'm finally getting it broken in. I didn't try to go the whole time without using the restroom it just happened that way!

Looking back, I can only recommend this as an extreme measure. Being dehydrated is bad for your health, but if you are really extreme...

Old 05-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Saving Gas on Long Trips in Hot Weather (Extreme)

Cracking the windows is OK. Also, buy a six-pack of water from WalMart and enjoy the trip. At least you weren't driving into the sun.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 AM

Silly:
Driving into the sun is *very* hot. Must get more water at WalMart!
Tangential:
According to 'Earth 911', I can recycle my used coolant at WalMart, and (only a) few other places around here.

DAS

Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

My solution is to :

1- Manage the battery state of charge better. Tied in to this is also a commitment to keep the climate control system on Automatic at a setting that does not force the ICE to start. I gradually adjust the temperature setting to ensure the electric AC compressor does not work hard to reach the set temperature.
2- Hold the windows/doors open before starting the car in a hot day until the cabin temperature becomes more suitable for human beings. If it is suitable for us it is suitable by design for the Power unit and battery pack and the AC compressor has to work less afterwards.
3- Keep the windows closed when at speed - "Drag" is not my friend's name. It also helps NOT to have a dark car.
4- Minimize the use of EV, except when appropriate. Instead take advantage of the ICE's optimal operating ranges more often.
5- Use P&G more often.
6- Plug a small 2 or 5 W solar panel into the accessories circuit. This will prevent the loss of SoC that would otherwise be used to maintain the 12V battery charge plus the accessories you may have in the car at the time of operation. Our hybrids typically have very small 12V batteries don't they?

Anyhow, it may not work for everybody but definitely works for some of us.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Or you can wear a vest full of ice, like the ones guys have to wear working in hot mine shafts, hybrid-fest MPG challenges, and nuclear power plants.
-John

Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Past few years I've been using ice water and a dabbing cloth and almost completely escaped the tax of the A/C.

bwilson4web is right- what ever you do just enjoy the trip.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 AM
HypoFueler

John - not running the AC in your case probably saved 5mpg+ or ~10% fuel. I ran the other way, from Columbus to Chicago - 370miles each way with the AC on at 72F at 50mpg ave. Had a Wife and two Kids I was trying to keep comfy = asleep = not complaining....

This cost me about 7.5 gal/$23 each way. With the AC off, it might have been about 6.8 gal/$20.50 or about a $2 savings. In this case, it was worth it to keep the family happy and I bet we would have spent an extra $2 just buying more cold drinks on the road for them.

The best part was not taking the big minivan (oxymoron) which would have used up at least 18 gal/$55 each way.

Yeah - back on my daily commute, I try not to touch the AC.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM

Carl,

I fully agree with you. I wouldn't torture the wife and kids. Being one of five kids I know how bad it would get in our van on longer trips, and that was when we were all comfortable. When I'm the sole occupant I figure any gas I save is awesome, even if minimal. Especially since I'm still in college (With a nice car loan to pay off! , It's worth every penny though!). Maybe I'm just obsessed but the heat didn't bother me that much!

I'm just amazed that you were able to get 50 mpg with A/C at the speeds you went. As I speculated before, maybe it's just the mountains that are killing my averages. I'll need to find an excuse to take I-70 west from Pickerington someday instead of east and see what happens!

-Jon

Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 PM

I remember the family trip across I-90 to Chicago during the summer in a 1977 Toyota Corolla...two doors, vinyl seats, no A/C, AM radio, stick shift. Sitting in the back seat, all I could do was to pop the little triangular window open with that little lever. Sweaty legs on hot vinyl seats...dad wanted to keep the windows up for max MPG...that was extreme. When my kids complain about our TCH, I believe they fear hearing about '77 trip...again and again and again.