Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Ok, well, sorry if that first post angered you, but if we are here to discuss viable low mpg driving techniques, that is all I was attempting, and poorly.

I can't make a useful video of it without putting a simultaneous camera by my feet. Maybe with someone's help and gear one day I will.

I do not deny the engine is off in the video- I did get that wrong in my first post. Sorry for being hasty in that regard. I'm all for civility and correcting where I am wrong.

In regards to pulling p&G off in a non-hybrid, I maintain that most people can't do it without sacrificing safety. (and those types of engines are not designed for that) The benefits of P&G are maximized with an automatic hybrid transmission- I think we may even agree there.

Don't even get me started on warp stealth!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Enough fighting, guys. You're here to discuss a hobby and an interest. No need to get hostile.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
  • I seldom drive with one hand, yet could do the video with the camera in one hand without a problem - sound impractical?
You are driving a stick shift with a camera in one hand? With all respect, this just does not seem safe- does the enzyte somehow help?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by hueristix
sorry, but you actually you need a hybrid synergy drive to do the REAL pulse and glide, because the gas engine is OFF during the glide.

Here is a link to learn more:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224
Technicaly pulse and glide has nothing to do with engine on or off. It is just more efficient with the engine off.

Pulse and glide was taught in drivers ed as a way to conserve fuel if you were running out. It is simply accelerating to a speed and then coasting a good distance and then back up to speed and coasting again. It has nothing to do with engine on or off. Since the Prius' HSD will allow you to go into a no energy mode it is one of the best vehicles to perform this technique and prius owners have come to adopt the technique as their own, but in reality pulse and glide is more broad then the use of it in a prius.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by hueristix
does the enzyte somehow help?
BTW, weren't you just warned about keeping it civil?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

For crying out loud, I was just making a joke- based on the fact of Delta's picture and 'honda enzyte' If someone else puts it out there, I may jest. I didnt come here to be reminded of enzyte either, but thats what happened. lol.

I have already acknowledged pulse and glide was started long ago. However, now that we have hybrid technology available, we are able to do it ease and safety, making the beginnings seem pretty outdated to my, just my opinion.

again I apologize to any I have offended. I am NOT going to respond from here, for the good of the planet.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Technicaly pulse and glide has nothing to do with engine on or off. It is just more efficient with the engine off.

Pulse and glide was taught in drivers ed as a way to conserve fuel if you were running out. It is simply accelerating to a speed and then coasting a good distance and then back up to speed and coasting again. It has nothing to do with engine on or off. Since the Prius' HSD will allow you to go into a no energy mode it is one of the best vehicles to perform this technique and prius owners have come to adopt the technique as their own, but in reality pulse and glide is more broad then the use of it in a prius.
Thanks for the straightforward explanation. I do have some questions though for my HCH2:
1. I dont like the idea of shutting down the ignition with key during the glide - are there still significant FE benefits if I switch from D to N during the glide (keeping ICE "running")? In N, Seems like the rpms drop to <1k and FE does rise versus keeping it in D at least.
2. Is keeping the rpms below 2k or 2.5k still a good rule of thumb for the pulse - or should I try to max out EV assist at higher RPMs?
3. Are there better FE benefits using this in slower city driving (stop lights/signs) versus using this on faster freeway speeds?
4. Is this better FE (for an HCH) than just keeping it in cruise control at say 35mph versus P&G from 45-->25mph?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Spartybrutus:
Unlike what some (Toyota hybrid only) folks here have aluded to, the Prius (or any other HSD vehicle) is not the only hybrid architecture that can do an "optimized and safe" Pulse and Glide.

Your HCH-2 will not only allow for P&G natively, but it will also extend the glide at almost any speed above 20MPH with the use of EV propulsion only. Used wisely you can get some pretty phenomenal MPGs.
On the HCH-2, you do not have to turn off the ignition to do a great glide. Just lightly release the gas until you get 1-2 green regen bars then gently apply gas to enter the mode. if you press a hair more you enter the EV mode during the glide. During this mode the gas engine consumes zero gas and only contributes a barely measurable amount of resistance/friction.

I use P&G in the city and on some short highway runs when circumstances permit. When I accellerate during the pulse I try to keep the assist as low as possible (preferable less than 3 bars). In the winter when the EV does not work (Prius & HCH-2) P&G is the only way I know to keep the MPGs as high as possible.

DeltaFlyer:
Awesome video by the way. I don't know if I would have had the guts to do what you did... but regardless, thank you for the great demonstration.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 04-25-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 AM
HypoFueler

MSantos,

Again, thanks for the clarifications.

One more question - for the HCH2 you are stating that the glide involves keeping the trans in Drive and just just getting 2 regenbars, wait for FE to peg hi, then add throttle until some assist bar(s) appear (with FE still pegged hi)? You are NOT saying to put the HCH2 trans in to Neutral during the glide, right?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Correct.

In fact, when you get really good at it you don't need to see any regen bars at all. When the regen bars appears it means you "are slowing down faster". The less regen bars the better... and yes, no need to put it in Neutral; just keep it in Drive watch the road ahead and do the gas pedal thing.
To modulate the gas pedal even better, some HCH-2 owners take off their shoes and drive barefoot (just like some high MPG Prius owners do). That's drive-by-wire throtlle for you.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands