Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

What is the top speed for all hybrids in E-mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:53 PM
joe540ci
Default What is the top speed for all hybrids in E-mode

My camry is 42mph.....My highlander seemes to have no limit especialy on a slight downhill run with gas let off and lightly re-engaged. I would like to know what the limits are for the Prius and Civic

Old 04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: What is the top speed for all hybrids in E-mode

The maximum Prius speed in stealth electric mode is ~41 mph.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Maximum all-electric speed for HCH2 is exactly 50 km/h. But the power is limited to around 5-6 kW (guessing from the power display, max is 15 kW), so on level ground it normally does only around 40 km/h. The ICE turns on when speed exceeds 50 km/h, or drops below 18 km/h.

Some people say they can coast with electrical assistance and ICE off at higher speeds but I very much doubt it. Never happened for me.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by rgx
Maximum all-electric speed for HCH2 is exactly 50 km/h. But the power is limited to around 5-6 kW (guessing from the power display, max is 15 kW), so on level ground it normally does only around 40 km/h. The ICE turns on when speed exceeds 50 km/h, or drops below 18 km/h.

Some people say they can coast with electrical assistance and ICE off at higher speeds but I very much doubt it. Never happened for me.
Sorry, I totally disagree with the description.

Many of us can evoke electric-only at almost any speed above 20km/h. I (and many other HCH-2 owners in this site alone) can confirm that... based solely on our experience.
At much higher speeds particularly at 100km/k and higher, EV mode on the HCH-II is not powerful enough to overcome the drag and therefore, it is not an adequate tool to maintain a practical high speed.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 04-04-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
HypoFueler

What is it about EV only mode that is so special? Yes, I understand that you have shut off gas consumption for a (relatively) short while on your total trip and use the battery power only. Yep, I know its quiet and "cool".

Isnt EV assist just as special (maybe more so) in that it shares the burden with the ICE and does things like keep the FE above 50MPG even when accellerating up a few mph or going up a slight hill? To me this is where the FE benefits are really piling up over the course of your trip.

Happy Easter