Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New Prius Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Prius Owner

I secured my Prius just this morning. After hemming and hawing for 6 months between a FEH and the Prius, I have finally signed the papers that retire my subaru wagon and put me into a 2005 Prius as a daily driver. Incidentally, that makes me and my wife a 2 hybrid family (the Prius joins a 2003 HCH which we both love). I decided, after thinking long and hard, that I didn't care about trying to secure the January 1, 2006 delivery date for the "new" tax credits.

I am happy to put my money where my politic's are, and I'm happy to do that even knowing the cost.

I would like to thank GreenHybrid for existing, and for all the regulars and "no-so" regulars to have added their expertise, information and opinion.

I'll add a small "Boo-Hiss" to Toyota however for announcing that the 2006 models will include an optional mp3 imput! I drove away this afternoon thinking, "Now, how will I connect my iPOD to this funky stereo!"

Of course, for me this decision is not about finding the perfect car or the perfect price. I had no reason to get rid of my subaru as it wasn't that old. Quite simply both my wife and I believe that we should tread as lightly on the road and on the environment as we can. I want to say "screw" the naysayers who focus on EPA mileage estimate shortfalls and ignore the significant lack of byproducts coming out of the tailpipe.

Driving is a necessary evil for me, and I hope today I made it a bit less evil!

Thanks to all, and I can't wait to start my entry to the mileage database!

Old 11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Prius Owner

Congrats on becoming one of the hybrid-enlightened drivers around here. Also, enjoy being one of several multi-hybrid households on GreenHybrid. We considered the 1st gen Prius, but ended up getting an Insight, then 2, and a Prius. You'll enjoy it more than any other car you've ever owned. Especially when you fill it up...rarely.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Prius Owner

I have my Prius now, for about two months, and traveled around 1,800 miles...It seems around town I get around 45 mpg, and the highway I get 53 to 55 mpg...And that's without babying the gas pedal...It's a big difference with my Toyota 4 Runner that I turned in for the Prius...All the things I read, it seems that the mpg should be reversed...I don't get it, but I'm not complaining...I love the downshift(B) coming down a hill....It seems it's such a well engineered automobile...The transmission, I don't even feel any shifting at all...I don't know what our american engineers are doing but it seems they are lagging pretty far behind...
Tommy G