Bad Smell when running cabin air

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bad Smell when running cabin air

I have a 2008 FEH, last week we started noticing a bad smell whenever we ran the cabin air. Upon investigating, I lifted up the black plastic crowling near the windshield wipers, and found mice had built a nest next to the cabin air filter box. Once I cleaned up that mess, the smell was gone. I have no idea how they got into that area. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Bad Smell when running cabin air

I've heard of them making a home inside a engine air filter once.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kpdandjad
I have a 2008 FEH, last week we started noticing a bad smell whenever we ran the cabin air. Upon investigating, I lifted up the black plastic crowling near the windshield wipers, and found mice had built a nest next to the cabin air filter box. Once I cleaned up that mess, the smell was gone. I have no idea how they got into that area. Anyone else had a similar problem?
Make a tight gasket for around the wiper shafts, mouse pad material, 1/4" foam, works well.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

When I purchased my '06 (used) I found that mine didn't even have a cabin air filter to begin with. Not sure how the previous owner went about with the HVAC on and didn't notice.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

I don't think Ford puts cabin air filters in any of these suv's. I had to buy one for my 2008 FEH and install myself as my wife has allergies.