Can you explain the engine block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you explain the engine block heater?

Now I'm confused. Hugo posted two (2) photos in post #14, showing the before (05-07 FEH) HV battery, and after (08 FEH), showing no plug to the HV battery warmer receptacle. Hugo, PLEASE chime back in here if you read this. Almost all other posts are on 05-07 models, and it seems that us 08 owners are in a world of our own, and I'm not sure now if 08 is all the same.

Mine is a 08 FEH AWD, not a Canadian, or upper USA sold model, and I DO have the plug connected, exactly like the 05-07 models that GPSMAN1 and others have on those models. If you didn't know any better, mine is identical to the older models. Two wires, 20-gauge, just exactly like the 05-07-model photo.

I looked all over the engine compartment for the other end of the cable, and I can't see it, based on the many photos of previous posters. I do not know where this cable terminates. This whole scenario leaves MANY 08 FEH questions. What did Mr. Ford do compared to previous years? Either Hugo has a disconnected plug, lying loose and hard to see, or the Canadian and/or northern USA deliveries are configured differently than the ones delivered to the dealers further south. Hugo, can you lift your cargo area carpet again and look for an unconnected HV battery warmer connector????

I will continue my investigation at this end when time permits, but without 08 FEH wiring diagrams, I'm fumbling around trying to figure why the HV battery has the same receptacle and plug for warming as the pervious models, but where is the termination?????

Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
Now I'm confused.

I looked all over the engine compartment for the other end of the cable, and I can't see it, based on the many photos of previous posters. I do not know where this cable terminates.

Ken, the 24v DC transformer (part of the 05-07 engine block heater) is located under the window washer fluid bottle container. It is on the passenger side of the engine sidewall. I previously posted photos and John (GPSMan1) also posted photos of this location in another thread--Poormans PHEV? on this site.

Last edited by Billyk; 01-20-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Ken, the 24v DC transformer (part of the 05-07 engine block heater) is located under the window washer fluid bottle container. It is on the passenger side of the engine sidewall. I previously posted photos and John (GPSMan1) also posted photos of this location in another thread--Poormans PHEV? on this site.
Bill, I have read all the other threads, looked & printed all the photos. But the 08 model is not the same as the 05-07. I can't locate the loose end of the cable by the washer fluid bottle like I see on your car.

If ever I can get some more daylight, I'll continue to look. If ford put it somewhere, they hid it real good on the 08 model years

Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi, it's coffee time here so I can chime in.

I hope to get a ScanGuage II within the next couple of weeks or so from the Canadian distributer in Ottawa. When I do, I will attempt to make observations similar to those above - I hope the learning curve for this is fairly straight forward.

I am intrigued about the differences w/in the 08 FEH. My wife has the vehicle today, but tonight, I will check :

- for an unconnected or disconnected two wire connection for the bare connector on the HV battery
- if a 24v DC transformer is located under the window washer fluid bottle container

It was -16C (about 3F) here this morning @ 7am & the vehicle temp said -14C on the dash display (parked inside an unheated garage), I had the block heater on a timer from 6:30 to 9:00 am. We needed to boost our other car (it should have been plugged in toobut I need another timer) from the FEH & when I backed it up for my wife to leave it was able to go into EV from the idling.

Hugo

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by hugoland
Hi, it's coffee time here so I can chime in.

I am intrigued about the differences w/in the 08 FEH. My wife has the vehicle today, but tonight, I will check :

- if a 24v DC transformer is located under the window washer fluid bottle container

Hugo
The 24v DC transformer did not come "stock" with the 05-07 Hybrids unless the vehicle came with the engine block heater option. My memory tells me the Escape Hybrids sold in cold weather states such as Minnesota had this option as a standard feature.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
The 24v DC transformer did not come "stock" with the 05-07 Hybrids unless the vehicle came with the engine block heater option. My memory tells me the Escape Hybrids sold in cold weather states such as Minnesota had this option as a standard feature.
BillyK. According to every thing I've read on the subject, you are correct, in that the EBH was/is standard equipment in certain cold weather states, at least on the 05-07 model years.

The thing that's different is the presence or absence of the cable that connects to HV battery warmer and dead ends in the engine compartment by the windshield washer tube on the 08 model years. My 08 FEH has the cable connected at the battery, but I can't find the 'loose' end at the front of the vehicle. Hugh, the other poster, showed a picture that his 08 did not even have the cable connected at the battery ???

So where is the loose end of the 24VDC battery warmer cable? If I could locate it, I'd get the 115VAC/24Vdc converter and plug to warm the HV battery. But I can't find the blasted loose end

Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM

I just looked at my '08 FEH (Build Date: 07/23/08) and there is a connector with two wires going into the battery pack. The colors (primary/secondary) on the two wires are white/blue and brown/white. I looked under the hood and I found wires of the same size/color that terminate within the same connector in the middle connector of the three firewall connectors (dead center, high on the firewall).

Maybe someone has a '08 shop manual/wiring guide and can chase those wires on paper. I can give pics and maybe a pin count location if needed.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
I just looked at my '08 FEH (Build Date: 07/23/08) and there is a connector with two wires going into the battery pack. The colors (primary/secondary) on the two wires are white/blue and brown/white. I looked under the hood and I found wires of the same size/color that terminate within the same connector in the middle connector of the three firewall connectors (dead center, high on the firewall).

Maybe someone has a '08 shop manual/wiring guide and can chase those wires on paper. I can give pics and maybe a pin count location if needed.
Chris, thanks Sooooo much. You really did 'MyPart'. I was so intense on looking where everybody else pointed out by the RF side near the windshield washer tank, and elsewhere near the front, that I never spent any time looking on the center part of the firewall.

Now the wife is gone bowling with the car, so can't run out there with a flashlight to check , but I certainly will by tomorrow.

I'll check it out with an ohmmeter if I locate the same connector (hopefully). The resistance should be somewhere around 8-10 ohms at this connector on the firewall, based on the wattage of the heater @ 24VDC. Then if I disconnect the connector at the HV battery, the resistance should go to infinity, proving it's the same wire harness. Then to absolutely verify beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'll jumper the two pins at one end of the connector, and should have near zero ohms at the other.

If this indeed is the answer, I'll buy or rig up a 24VDC supply to heat the battery. I find that to be more limiting than the fWT. This engine heats up faster than any vehicle I've ever seen, but the battery is considerably slower, and limits the charging current considerably.

Thanks AGAIN!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi - checked things out at dusk last night & froze.

First, I removed the carpet over the HV battery & there is no unconnected or disconnected two wire connection/plug coming off the main wiring to the HV battery - I pushed my fingers up under the trim following the bundle of wires & they are wrapped & unbranched.

Then, I looked under the hood around the windshield washer cap & there is nothing that resembles a 24v DC transformer block. I posted two new pictures in the share area that show wires bolted to the right inner sidewall but could not see their colours.

A mystery, I will look around the firewall area today too - remember my Produced Date is 1/2/2008, so maybe there was a change with Job 2 stuff - who knows?

H

Last edited by hugoland; 01-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It seems we were all too quick to think things would be the same 2005 to 2008.

My wires for 2005 are violet and violet with orange stripe.
The connector under the hood was round, about the size of a thick felt tip pen... had a dust cap on it when it was unused, and was found on the passenger front fender by the washer fluid fill.

Good luck, but don't treat anything I say as fact, unless you have a 2005!
Cheers! And I look foreward to reading what you figure out for your 2008's.

-John

Quick Reply: Can you explain the engine block heater?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands