Instrument Cluster for Geeks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Ronin
Thumbs up Instrument Cluster for Geeks

If you could have any vehicle information displayed on the cluster or navigation screen, what would you like to see? The manufactures can make the cluster on the hybrids look just like a 'normal' vehicle... not to freak out the customers that just want good economy and do not want to be confused with the technology, they just want it to look/feel like what they are used to...(like my Dad), or for some of us, we would like to see everything possible to better understand and enjoy the hybrid driving experience. Just things like temperatures, or perhaps the reasons why the engine won't turn off (too cold, low battery,.. whatever). Or, how about an option to order the 'Geek' screens as an upgrade like the Nav system is.
Anybody got ideas on what you would like to tell Ford you want on your next Hybrid?

Old 03-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Instrument Cluster for Geeks

I, too, have thought about this.

Given that there is the Message Center, and that the "computer" knows about all sorts of stuff about the vehicle's current operating condition, why can't it be displayed on the Message Center?

I mean, the hybrids lack full instrumentation. Personally, I haven't owned a vehicle in decades which didn't have at least a engine temperature gauge. It would be sure nice, if the Message Center could be used to "fill in" for all the missing gauges. All it would take, is a bit of programming; no actual per-vehicles cost would be had since all the hardware is already there.

ICE temp, and possibly even cat temp (to indicate if EV mode was possible, or how close to being possible), would be nice. Electric motor RPM comes to mind too.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Dude

Absolutely. If I have a complaint at all, it is that there is no engine temp gauge, for the ICE or to tell when the Escape has warmed enough to allow for EV.

I can deal without a electric tachyometer though. Honestly, while it is nice trivia, the only thing I use the tacyometer for, before hybrid and now, was to tell when it was possible to shift, or in the case of the Escape, to tell when I can double-tap and use EV mode.

In any case, this would have indeed been possible through the message center. The computer obviously pays attention to such details, how difficult would it have been to simply have a little digital readout showing it?

Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 AM

I'd like:
HV battery gauge (SOC)
Engine Temp
Current Draw (?? - so we can tell when the ICE is going to kick in)
Instant MPG & Average MPG

Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Instant MPG & Average MPG
I still don't understand the "why" these are disabled if one has the Nav system. If they are redundant, I would simply not pick them for display on the Message Center. However, I should be allowed to make that choice. I mean, there are times that I have other info displayed in the Nav system, like a Nav map, and would like if I could still get other info on the unused Message Center.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

This is all possible to display on the trip odometer side.

Simply press and hold the trip reset button before turning the key.
Release when you see the word tESt on the green display.
Press the button to cycle through 63 parameters.

It's not user friendly, and it disappears when you turn the key off, so it's a bit of a hassle. But it's there.

I have a primer at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...ts%20Revealed/

that tells what all the possible messages are that can be displayed.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM

You said it....its not user friendly and it is a hassle. It just proves that this info is there and can be accessed.

Since the info center display is there, I just don't understand why Ford wouldn't use it to display....I don't know.....INFO!!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
You said it....its not user friendly and it is a hassle. It just proves that this info is there and can be accessed.

Since the info center display is there, I just don't understand why Ford wouldn't use it to display....I don't know.....INFO!!!!
The Cluster is on both vehicle networks, and has access to most (not all) of the both networks information, however, is does not have enough space to display all of the information (and Ford is notoriously conservertive about showing information which could be mis-interpreted, this is why you can't show the MPG info on both the Custer AND the NAV, they may be slightly different due to resolutions, and display capabilities).

The NAV system does not have access to the actual information, only the information the cluster gateways to it. The cluster does not send the actual values to the NAV, it sends data as a ratios (e.g. not actual battery SOC, but say 50% of the displayable range).