Auto-dimming Instrument light?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast
Default Auto-dimming Instrument light?!

Arhggg! I really find the auto-dimming instrument panel lighting very ANNOYING. When the headlights are on "Auto," or "On" this feature is activated. It dims the panel lights suddenly when I'm driving under an overpass during twilight hours. The panel goes dim then bright in a matter of about 3 seconds.

1) Can we override this feature?
2) Can we adjust the photosensor's sensitivity on top of the dash?

I guess this is a dealer-only programable feature. Turning the panel lights on full right click makes them too bright in low-light conditions. A nice feature if it worked correctly. Any other TCH owners have this issue?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto-dimming Instrument light?!

Martin. I was just thinking about this one this morning. When I first got the car I assume that when the dash lights dimmed the lights were on and vice versa. I then noticed that the dash lights would do as you said, dim going under an overpass and get brighter after emerging.

I don't know whether it's programmable, but it is annoying. I would have put in a delay. Let the low light condition be present for 5 - 10 seconds before dimming the panel lights.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Martin. I was just thinking about this one this morning. When I first got the car I assume that when the dash lights dimmed the lights were on and vice versa. I then noticed that the dash lights would do as you said, dim going under an overpass and get brighter after emerging.

I don't know whether it's programmable, but it is annoying. I would have put in a delay. Let the low light condition be present for 5 - 10 seconds before dimming the panel lights.
I believe there is some programmability to the sensitivity to this. Read about it in http://toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm "other features" "customizable electronic features"

Old 10-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Guage lights (Blue Ring) are tied directly to your fuel economy - once you know what that is - it makes a lot of sense and I now really like the feature... See this post that explains it, the pdf file in the last post, or page 137 of the manual I believe....

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ower.9852.html

Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here it is... You may have to zoom in to read it...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lights.pdf (50.7 KB, 153 views)
Old 10-26-2006, 06:58 AM

I definitely understand about the variable blue lighting around the instruments. What I'm referring to, as well as the original poster, is how the entire instrument panel illumination; blue lighting as well as instrument and CD/Nav lighting will get dimmer for several seconds while going under an overpass.

BTW, the variable blue illumination based upon trip mpg is a silly little feature. JMHO

Old 10-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

Yes, the Camry iGuide does list the instrument panel auto light control sensitivity as a "Customizable Electronic Feature!" But it fails to provide instructions on HOW to reprogram the "Customizable features." The paper manual also fails to provide instructions on how to reprogram most features. There has got to be a sequence of button pushing. Don't tell me that only the dealer has to do these "simple" tasks and charge us $101/hour to hook up a factory OBD interface to get into the TCH's feature programming!! I just want it deactivated now!! In the meantime, I'll put tape over the sensor.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Toyota CS: It is dealer program only folks! They have to use a scan tool and interface with one of the computers. "A diagnostic fee may apply based upon charges set by your dealer." They started a case just to reinforce my issue.

Last edited by martinmzfan; 10-26-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I don't see any difference in the instrument panel brightness regardless of headlights being on or off (by Auto or manually). I don't have the control-dial pin fully clicked max, so it must be that I'm always getting great mileage to stay bright...??? When I manually turn on/off the headlights, I surely see the center console brightness change, but not cockpit panel. I just wanted my instrument panel to match that - that've'd been nice.

Last edited by PiroChu; 04-28-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

The cockpit panel lights will dim every time the headlights come on. It you manually turn the headlights on, they will dim. If you have them in auto mode, when the headlights come on (at dusk or in a tunnel/overpass) they lights will also dim.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
The cockpit panel lights will dim every time the headlights come on. It you manually turn the headlights on, they will dim. If you have them in auto mode, when the headlights come on (at dusk or in a tunnel/overpass) they lights will also dim.
That's what I'd've guessed, but not my '08 (used). Perhaps the previous owner had it changed/customized/programmed (so not to dim) at a dealership...? I can't remember off-hand whether this is one of those customizable things, but it's weird because the center console dims accordingly, while the cockpit remains the same.

Quick Reply: Auto-dimming Instrument light?!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands