Low SOC after sitting a few days

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low SOC after sitting a few days

My experience was gradual. For a few months it was once a month or so, usually after sitting a few days. Then it started happening on Mondays (after the weekend) then more frequently; eventually I could park for just a few hours and be at 20%, but not everytime. That's when I swapped; didn't want the Mrs stranded somewhere.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM

I just returned from a trip and the FEH had nine days of non-op parked in the garage.

The SoC was 27% and it started readily. Not sure what the SoC would have to be for non-start. I drove around for 6+ miles doing errands and the SoC only recovered to 44% although it would go into EV.

This FEH has 86k miles of easy operation in a moderate (coastal) climate where the a/c is seldom needed. The mileage has decreased by several mpg over the last year according to my records on fuelly.com. So I guess it's time to admit I have a HV battery problem and do something about it, or not.

Are there any options for rebuilt batteries? I don't like the idea of a used battery that's possibly older than mine.

Is there any definitive test I can run to be 100% certain the problem is with the battery?

Would the battery balancing that S Keith mentioned be worthwhile trying here?

Old 12-21-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
I just returned from a trip and the FEH had nine days of non-op parked in the garage.

The SoC was 27% and it started readily. Not sure what the SoC would have to be for non-start. I drove around for 6+ miles doing errands and the SoC only recovered to 44% although it would go into EV.

This FEH has 86k miles of easy operation in a moderate (coastal) climate where the a/c is seldom needed. The mileage has decreased by several mpg over the last year according to my records on fuelly.com. So I guess it's time to admit I have a HV battery problem and do something about it, or not.

Are there any options for rebuilt batteries? I don't like the idea of a used battery that's possibly older than mine.

Is there any definitive test I can run to be 100% certain the problem is with the battery?

I would certainly say yes...

Concerning the MPG hit, I would make sure it's not something else. MPG reductions due to battery typically happen pretty quickly, i.e., over the course of a month or two, you transition from good to less good.

Has there been a tire, habit, region or driving style change? Has all other maintenance been performed such has any throttle body cleaning, air filter replacement and spark plugs?

A good way to tell if it's battery is determining the highway mpg on a straight and level course. At steady state speeds on flat roads with the ICE running, the hybrid system has zero affect on MPG provided the battery is not being charged or discharged as it seeks a neutral "home" SoC.

If your highway-only mpg has decreased, it's more related to the ICE than the hybrid components.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
What's battery balancing on the FEH? (apologies if I overlooked anything obvious, but I searched the forums & didn't find anything)

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Different thread.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...s-miles-31415/

Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Thank you!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a few questions after reading over this & similar threads:

1) Is there any way to force the recalibration procedure?

2) Regarding the battery balancing, should the entire process be completed before the car is driven again? This would take several days, correct?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM

1) Not to my knowledge.

2) Technically, balancing is the simple act of charging the entire pack to full. At 350mA, this takes a maximum of 25 hours with sufficient cooling. For folks with limited time, conducting the cycles on consecutive weekends would be no issue provided a balancing charge is done before each discharge.

Even just the act of fully charging the pack to true 100% SoC can improve performance though the cycling tends to produce the best results.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hello
I need your help. I am Lancey Konaté. I live in Guinea (West africa). Excuse my bad english. I have a Ford Escape Hybrid 2005. After a loss of power loss I had it remained 6 months without being lit while waiting for the throttle body. I changed this throttle but the car refuses to go idle. It lights up 10sec and goes out. The obd diagnostic gives code p2104 and the cluster test instrument gives dtc 3318 and d900. I changed 4 times the throttle body but nothing changes. I have 0rpm on the dashboard when I turn on the engine.
I need your help please.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Lancey, have you tried disconnecting your 12v battery to reset the computer? There is a thread on the specific way to do it.

If the 12v battery is not fully charged and tested for a bad cell then it will sometimes cause bad problems.

Quick Reply: Low SOC after sitting a few days

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands