MP3 and Sirius in 06' w/Nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MP3 and Sirius in 06' w/Nav

HELP! I just bought the new 2006 Ford Hybrid Escape, and I got the navagaion system with 6-disc changer (part of the "Premium Package"). I called 3 dealerships, and NONE of them know what kit to install to make it Sirius-ready. Does anyone have a part number, or other more-specific info on how to get Sirius in this car? Thanks,

Max

PS: My 6-disk changer DOES play MP3's, even though it is the one with the Navagaional system.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

I can tell you it has been tough getting answers from my cardealer on the MP3/Satillite radio questions. I am coming to the conclusion that my mmh does not have mp3 and that Mercury has dupped me. Because I cannot get that nav/radio to play a burned MP3 cd

Old 03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Maxvz,

I can't help you on the Sirius question but how did you get the MP3 cds to play?

Type of cd, burning software and method would be very helpful if you can share.

Thanks!!
Gail

Originally Posted by Maxvz
PS: My 6-disk changer DOES play MP3's, even though it is the one with the Navagaional system.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

A lot of people have been asking about MP3's in my car. I burned several CDs with my own MP3 files using I-tunes and Windows. They play just fine in the 6-disk changer. I have no idea why...

Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

I am beginning to strongly suspect we will soon see a class action lawsuit against Ford for deceptive advertising over this.

The Web site and information I read certainly make it sound like the NAV Entertainment System is both satellite and MP3 capable. Since this is suppose to be the top of the line system, one would not expect to lose capabilities by upgrading. There is no question that the other radios are satellite and MP3 capable.

One suggestion I have. If you want to make your own CDs, tell teh software you are using you want an audio CD. The defeats the purpose of using MP3, but you can at least make custom CDs for your car that will play.

I have called the dealer regarding the satellite capability, and he is looking into it. The MP3 question will be submited on Monday. I am clueless as to why this is a problem. The unit appears to be fully digital and should be capable of doing these things.

Ford, are you listening to your customers? This is a major issue since we bought $30k+ cars based on the reasonable expectation that we would get for what we are paying. For some of us these are not minor inconveniences but real issues.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maxvz
A lot of people have been asking about MP3's in my car. I burned several CDs with my own MP3 files using I-tunes and Windows. They play just fine in the 6-disk changer. I have no idea why...
I think I know. The default for iTunes is to burn audio format CDs, not MP3 format CDs.

How many songs have you put on a single CD? If you can put 100 songs on a CD you are indeed using MP3, and my hypothesis is incorrect. If it askes for a dozen discs then it is writing audio files.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

I have carefully read the owners manual. It clearly states that the VNR only plays audio CD. Even the CD jukebox clearly in bold lettering plays audio CD.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
drive of the mariner hev

Originally Posted by Jimihdkunk
I am beginning to strongly suspect we will soon see a class action lawsuit against Ford for deceptive advertising over this.
Y'know, I've been wondering the same thing myself.

I went a step further and contacted the manufacturer of the radio who also told me it was supposed to be MP3 compatible and directed me to their technical support facility that ALSO told me it was supposed to be MP3 compatible.

Yes, it does seem like a minor issue, but when it comes down to it, it *is* one of the reasons I bought the car. That it was a hybrid was good, but I made sure to specifically ask if the radio was MP3 capable and was told all around that it was.

That it's not is really disappointing and really annoying. And says something about the business practices there.

I guess the real question is going to wind up being, how many of the MMH were manufactured/sold in the full line version and how many of those consumers bought it with the idea of having an MP3 capable system?

I also agree with the idea that upgrading shouldn't LOSE features. But as someone else points out that it only plays "AUDIO" CDs in the owner's manual, you only get to THAT after purchasing the car! Mine was still shrink wrapped and I only got to open it after signing on the dotted line and owning the car. So I wouldn't be able to discover that the sticker on the window was wrong until after purchase.

Rabe...

Old 03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

I'm pissed. My window sticker says "MP3". The dealer knows NOTHING. Mercury is rude and won't answer any questions. They say to call the dealer. The dealer says to call Mercury. What is up with this??? Can someone give me the number for the manufacturer of the NAV sound system please?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:20 PM
drive of the mariner hev

I'm fortunate that in my job I have access to attorneys so I decided to ask one of them about this issue.

Basically, according to him, if we bought something expecting a feature that was *advertised* (such as being on the window sticker and/or being told the product had said feature) then it is actionable when the product doesn't have that feature.

Having said that, that our Navsystems and 6disc changers were advertised to us as having MP3 capability and then discovering (despite what EVERYONE ELSE involved withe Navsystem/car manufacture says) that it does not have MP3 capability is actions for a suit and that there are a number of us that experience these problems, it could be a class action suit.

Me, if it were to go forward, all I'd care about is getting what I paid for, namely a 6disc changer that is MP3 capable. And since I can buy the ****ed things at Wal-Mart for less than a hundred bucks, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the significantly more I paid when I received the Navsystem upgrade shouldn't be able to play MP3.

One would hope that Ford/Mercury would willingly alert consumers that they intend to make good on this so another lawsuit doesn't have to clog up the court system. Though, I am getting tired of manufacturers claiming one thing and then not actually doing it.

Like another portable MP3/WMA player I have. It listed a feature on the packaging, the instruction documentation discusses said feature and then it says that this feature is 'not yet available, but an upgrade activating it will soon be issued'. Well, the player is an older model and thus far NO upgrade has been issued. Now I bought something and I expect to use all the ****ed features I thought I was paying for.

Yeah, I know, others may still think this is a silly issue but think of it this way:

You buy a car that is advertised to have some other feature and you pay more to have this feature like traction control or side curtain airbags or something. And then you find out that the car you bought does NOT have this feature, despite it being listed on the window sticker. Wouldn't that be angry?

Right now it's a trust thing. How do I know all the *other* features listed on my car (especially safety features) are actually functioning or even there if they can't get something as simple as an MP3 functionality right? It's a consumer trust issue. And I've about five consumer surveys sitting on my desk that are just waiting for me to fill out, and you'd better believe that my overall customer satisfaction is going to be reduced because of my reduction in trust.

Rabe...

Quick Reply: MP3 and Sirius in 06' w/Nav

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands