Used 2008 Escape Hybrid: 4wd vs. FWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Used 2008 Escape Hybrid: 4wd vs. FWD

My 2004 Explorer transmission is on it's last legs and I am considering trading it in for a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with about 58k miles.

It is for sale at a Chevy dealership, so I don't put a lot of stock in their information about the vehicle.

Anyway, they claim it is a 4WD model, but I am not convinced. There is no 4x4 symbol on the side of the car, nor are there any switching controls on the dash (like my Explorer has). The salesperson claims that there is no controls because it switches to 4WD mode as needed automatically.

How can a auto mechanically inclined novice like myself tell if it is indeed 4x4 outside of taking it to a mechanic?

Thanks for any help,

Thos.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Used 2008 Escape Hybrid: 4wd vs. FWD

Does it have a rear differential? If yes, it's AWD.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Cheapskate

Can't speak specifically for the 2008 (I have a 2006), but on mine there's no outside "branding" that identifies the 4WD variant. There is a 4WD embossed in the dash to the left of the climate controls. Most reliable way is to simply look underneath in the rear.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
Does it have a rear differential? If yes, it's AWD.
Geez...I didn't even think of that. (hangs head...)

Thos.

Last edited by thos19; 03-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by thos19
Geez...I didn't even think of that. (hangs head...)

Thos.
I own a 2008 AWD FEH. There are no badges or indicators anywhere on mine, inside or out. Just the filled in space between the rear wheels.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Even if it is "4WD" it really doesn't function as such. The majority of the time it is simply a somewhat hazardous FWD. The Escape routes engine torque to the rear ONLY under certain specific circumstances.

1.) During low speed acceleration, acceleration from a stop. Up to about 20MPH the harder you press the GO pedal, the more torque will be coupled to the rear, but never more that 1/2, and rarely that.

2.) In addition to the above, the tighter you turn during acceleration the more rapidly the level of torque coupled to the rear will rise. The idea here is to dedicate more front tire traction to lateral forces rather that drive forces.

And FINALLY:

Should wheelspin/slip occur anyway the INSTANT result will be TC activation, FULL engine dethrottling, and braking of the front wheels in order to most quickly alleviate the loss of traction situation and thereby avoid the possibility of loss of directional control.

Last edited by wwest; 03-16-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Imported from Detroit

Incorrect

#1 incorrect
#2 incorrect

Incorrect

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

Avoid the 2wd in snow/ice of any kind- and sometimes in rain. I have 185k on mine- and is 1wd in any slippery conditions (passenger front) - and with no traction control- wheel just spins away and you go no-where. Great car otherwise-but exceptionally dangerous when snowy or icy- (also iffy if you are in any Midwest gravel road on any grade starting from stop.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piquant
Avoid the 2wd in snow/ice of any kind- and sometimes in rain. I have 185k on mine- and is 1wd in any slippery conditions (passenger front) - and with no traction control- wheel just spins away and you go no-where. Great car otherwise-but exceptionally dangerous when snowy or icy- (also iffy if you are in any Midwest gravel road on any grade starting from stop.
Your experiences do not match some of the long time original FEH owners who have posted on this site in the years past.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Your experiences do not match some of the long time original FEH owners who have posted on this site in the years past.
Piquant is correct, 2WD, FWD or RWD, are just alike with respect to the lack of TC, TC implemented LSD, or actual LSD. On a slippery surface they all to easily become simple ONE-WHEEL DRIVE vehicles.

But then the addition of TC isn't of much help in getting you up and going initially on that slippery surface, which is why more modern vehicles have a TC off function.

Quick Reply: Used 2008 Escape Hybrid: 4wd vs. FWD

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands