Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Used 2008 Escape Hybrid: 4wd vs. FWD

Originally Posted by wptski
Incorrect

#1 incorrect
#2 incorrect

Incorrect
I can give foundation from Ford for my statement, can you?

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24795

Last edited by wwest; 03-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
I can give foundation from Ford for my statement, can you?

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24795
I read that article or interview with Mr. Rodrigues also. Since he is local to me I got his home phone and almost called but didn't. It is incorrect.

That appeared in a Ford Fusion forum along with a link to a Ford site showing a selectable moving graphic on different roads conditions. It was pulled sometime in 2009 because it was incorrect as is Mr. Rodrigues.

Oh yeah, I own a Ford 4WD/AWD Escape, know how it works because I actually connected a scope to the 4WD module output. It doesn't work the way Mr. Rodrigues states in that interview.

I actually believed it work as described in that interview till I found out better!

Here's a link to the thread which includes the since removed graphic which is picture and a link to it in the thread: http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic...eaded&pid=6557.

Last edited by wptski; 03-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Ther last I knew you hadn't found any way to correlate PWM dutycycle with the electromagnetic clutch's coupling coefficient. Insofar as we know a 20% dutycycle "on" period could simply be a "keep-alive" level, 5% coupling, and 35% dutycycle a 100% coupling, 50/50 F/R.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 PM

I read that article or interview with Mr. Rodrigues also. Since he is local to me I got his home phone and almost called but didn't. It is incorrect.

That appeared in a Ford Fusion forum along with a link to a Ford site showing a selectable moving graphic on different roads conditions. It was pulled sometime in 2009 because it was (NO LONGER CORRECT) incorrect as is Mr. Rodrigues.

IT might have very well been perfectly correct for the time period....until TC/VSC was adopted...? Even after 2009 the statement may have been fully correct insofar as it goes but needed filling out due to the integration of TC and VSC.

Oh yeah, I own a Ford 4WD/AWD Escape, know how it works because

I actually connected a scope to the 4WD module output.

And you have a table that translates PWM duty cycle to rear drive coupling coefficient...???

It doesn't work the way Mr. Rodrigues states in that interview.

What year is yours..?

I actually believed it work as described in that interview till I found out better!

Here's a link to the thread which includes the since removed graphic which is picture and a link to it in the thread: http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic...aded&pid=6557.

Last edited by wwest; 03-17-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:18 PM

That appeared in a Ford Fusion forum along with a link to a Ford site showing a selectable moving graphic on different roads conditions. It was pulled sometime in 2009 because it was incorrect as is Mr. Rodrigues.

Oh yeah, I own a Ford 4WD/AWD Escape, know how it works because I actually connected a scope to the 4WD module output. It doesn't work the way Mr. Rodrigues states in that interview.

Here's a link to the thread which includes the since removed graphic which is picture and a link to it in the thread: http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic...aded&pid=6557.
Op was asking about a 2008...

What year is your "AWD" Escape and how does the "AWD" operation differ from that described in the article..?

Last edited by wwest; 03-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Imported from Detroit

Op was asking about a 2008...

What year is your "AWD" Escape and how does the "AWD" operation differ from that described in the article..?
It's a 2009 FE, it's the same as a 2008. You never have more than around 35% rear wheel torque even when it's floored.

A pinpoint test right from the manual states for the tech to command 100% rear wheel torque and if the vehicle resists turning, return the vehicle to the customer as it's working as it should. That in itself shows that Mr. Rodrigues was incorrect.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Imported from Detroit

It's an electro-mechanical clutch, on/off and this case PWM at 1kHz for control.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM

It's a 2009 FE, it's the same as a 2008. You never have more than around 35% rear wheel torque even when it's floored.

From where does the 35% number come, PWM duty cycle?

Depending on the "Q" of the inductive circuit 35% could mean 100% current flow in the inductor, electromagnet coil.

But again, insofar as we know that 35% PWM dutycycle could represent 100% coupling of the maximum allotted 50% of engine torque.

A pinpoint test right from the manual states for the tech to command 100% rear wheel torque and if the vehicle resists turning, return the vehicle to the customer as it's working as it should.

That in itself shows that Mr. Rodrigues was incorrect.

I don't get your meaning, incorrect in what respect?
"..working as it should.." Means nothing, simple parallel/analog to MANUALLY putting my Jeep in locked differential mode and then trying to turn somewhat tightly on a tractive surface. Bears no relation to what the system does, or does not do, automatically.

Also, is it true that your 2009 has TC/VSC while the 2008 does not?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Question: Since we both know that whatever system is used the opposite drive cannot be continuously engaged absent some method for slippage, open center diff, VC (rubber-bandish coupling), etc, how would you suggest the Escape system operate so as to pre-emptively alleviate slippage and thereby prevent instances of loss of directional control on a predominantly FWD vehicle?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Your experiences do not match some of the long time original FEH owners who have posted on this site in the years past.
Those have been my experiences. Last week I was on an icy gravel incline, trying to park. What a pain, my old Pontiac Sunfire would have handled it much much better. My next one (yes I will be buying it used) will be AWD.

Quick Reply: Used 2008 Escape Hybrid: 4wd vs. FWD

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands