Wrench Light - Changed Blend Door Actuator - Light Still ON???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Wrench Light - Changed Blend Door Actuator - Light Still ON???

I recently picked up a 2006 model and it has the wrench/service soon lights on. After doing my research, I changed the HV Battery Blend Door Actuator which was a pretty easy job following along with a great youtube video.

I can see the vent door opening and closing as I suspect it is supposed to do by pulling out the filter and simply watching. So I know the actutator is functioning.

However, THE WRENCH AND SERVICE SOON will not go away!!!!

What is the next fix that I can try and do. I have turned the car on and off 10 times to see if it would reset. Nothing. Even tried the old fashioned remove the negative battery terminal to no avail.

The car is driving fine, but gas mileage seems to be in the mid 20s. Havent seen any other messages. Simply the wrench and service soon. So frustrating!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Wrench Light - Changed Blend Door Actuator - Light Still ON???

I cant be the only one this has happened to!! HELP!!! PLEASE!!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Did you try searching the forum for this topic? I found this:

"It is interesting to note that the "service soon" and wrench sign did not disappear immediately after restarting the vehicle. It disappeared after we drove the car out to highway about 40 miles. Tried to stop the car, shut down the engine and restart it again. Repeated over 5 times and the "service soon" and wrench sign did not appear anymore. I am keeping my finger crossed to see if this solution permanently fixed the problem."

Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I did read that. Took it out for a 60 mile drive last night. Turned the car off and on about 10 times. Just doesnt go away. Driving me nuts!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post256930

Like Steve said, probably another source for the codes. Might be worth $100 at the dealer to get it scanned and see what the trouble code is. It could even be something covered by the hybrid warranty.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hello- Did you ever figure out what was keeping the wrench on? i had the blend door actuator repaired as well by a mechanic quite a while ago and he was unable to get the wrench off. I was told everything was fine, the mechanic just couldn't reset or turn off the wrench. It has been 80,000 miles or so since the repair, the wrench light has been on the whole time, but the car runs fine with good gas mileage (35 mpg) and not red pull over safety lights or any other issues. I did replace the cooling pump about 80,000 miles ago as well.

The ford dealer want to replace the cooling system to get the light off. When I asked if the battery was getting hot, they said they couldn't see that that was happening, they just suggested spending $1200 to replace the cooling system so that the wrench light would shut off.

The car has 211,000 miles on it and has run fine since 2012 when the pump and blend door actuator were repaired. I want to sell it, but if the wrench light is a hold up, I will just keep it and use it as a runabout. I don't really see the point in paying a dealer $1200 to fix a car that works.

Any feedback you have would be great.

Thanks-
Kris

Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Kris,

I replied to your other post regarding this, I'm not sure what happened to it or if it's pending moderation or whatever. Bottom line is that I would NOT just let them go *****-nilly replacing stuff when they aren't able to see the battery heating up. Fan failure, at least for me, did not even throw a wrench light. There are a lot of other things it could be other than the blend door, and I would be highly suspicious about a "cooling system" failure, especially if you aren't noticing any driveability concerns or decrease in MPG. If the battery is overheating, the software will basically cut out the electric drive part of the drivetrain once it reaches a predefined temperature and you would definitely notice. Hopefully my other reply shows up.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeteSzerszen1
Kris,

I replied to your other post regarding this, I'm not sure what happened to it or if it's pending moderation or whatever. Bottom line is that I would NOT just let them go *****-nilly replacing stuff when they aren't able to see the battery heating up. Fan failure, at least for me, did not even throw a wrench light. There are a lot of other things it could be other than the blend door, and I would be highly suspicious about a "cooling system" failure, especially if you aren't noticing any driveability concerns or decrease in MPG. If the battery is overheating, the software will basically cut out the electric drive part of the drivetrain once it reaches a predefined temperature and you would definitely notice. Hopefully my other reply shows up.
Thanks for this PeteSzerszen - I agree with you and will continue to try to do more research on this. Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

And you can check the temperature of the battery just by putting your hand on it. Normal is warm. "Hot" is 100 degrees F, which is uncomfortably hot but won't burn you. Inability to go into ev mode in hot weather can be caused by the battery being too hot.