IMA + Check Engine Light! What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Question IMA + Check Engine Light! What to expect?

Ok, so I recently purchased a '05 HAH and is has about 92,000 miles on it. I've had it for about 2 weeks and everything has been fine. There was an issue last week when I left a light on inside and the battery died. My husband was able to jump start the car and it was fine ever since. Today I went to the grocery store and when I started to car to come home the IMA and check engine lights were on. I bought the car as is with no warranty and really hope this won't be a huge deal. I am taking it to Honda tomorrow morning to have tests run on it. What should I expect and is it ok to drive it for now?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA + Check Engine Light! What to expect?

I would expect your 12V battery is weak. When you started your car, did it start normally? Or did you hear the starter motor engage? When driving home, did it feel like the power steering wasn't normal?

The 12V battery being weak wreaks all kinds of havoc on your electrical system. Hopefully that's the problem with your car and your IMA system is fine. Let us know?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't really notice any difference in how well it started, and the power steering seemed fine. However, I did notice that is wasn't driving as "smooth." Also, the eco light comes on pretty often and tonight it didn't come on at all. Everything else seems to be working properly. I've been reading all kinds of horror stories on here about bad IMA systems and expensive repairs or replacements. It's very upsetting considering I just bought it. Hopefully it won't be so bad.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Think green.

I was just reading someone else's thread that sounded similar:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...t-43mpg-26598/

So maybe either your 12 V battery is weak and needs replacing, and/or a reset is needed as they did with their car. I hope it's nothing serious. Keep us updated.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 02-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: IMA + Check Engine Light! What to expect?

GOOD NEWS! The IMA battery is not about to die. The service tech at Honda said that the reason the light came on was because the previous owner had not had the IMA updates installed (whatever that means?). And why wasn't this light already on when I test drove it and bought it 3 weeks ago? I have to take it in tomorrow for them to update the IMA system. He also said that the check engine light came on because there is a part that needs replacing... something that has to due with the amount of fuel getting used up. So I am happy that I didn't just buy a lemon, but this is still killing my whole I have a new car excitement.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

This exactly happened to me after I bought my used 05 HAH. This car is somewhat reliable and takes time to get use to it. I bought mine used with 78k and now have doubled it in nearly 3yrs now. I had mine tuned up at around 100k and don't have any mechanical problems. You have to watch these mechanics who work on them though. I get around 32mpg and you will read others that get better. Still not sure if I would buy another.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

of note: the ECO mode will not activate if the check engine light is on. ECO mode shuts off 3 of your cylinders and as a precaution, the car disables that feature if a problem is detected.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

ECO indicator actually shows you that instant MPG at this moment is above 25 MPG.
It may happen even without shutting off of 3 cylinders.