Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

$4 gasoline is coming

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:44 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: $4 gasoline is coming

Maybe the gas price hike will finally convince Ford/GM that hybrids and fuel efficient cars are the way to go.

Yeah... right...

Naa... Let's make more Million-dollar taxpayer-funded FCVs that have a market release date of 2171 AD. Lutz knows that nobody wanted on affordable Volt that could be manufactured with off-the -shelf technology. He realized that what consumes really wanted was a Volt powered by a million dollar drive-train that had no refilling stations.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
hmmmmm.... i said US average... sure you will get stations hiking up the price. From the pic it looks like SF which has probably the highest price of gas in the entire country.

I see $4 in the city all the time. Drive 30 minutes away... and it comes down to under 3.
True, but you also said "summer". It is not even summer yet, and we are starting to see some limited number of locations already passing the $4 mark. As more and more locations pass the $4 mark, the average will creep up too, and by the end of the summer, there just might be enough places over $4 that the average goes over $4 too.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Naa... Let's make more Million-dollar taxpayer-funded FCVs that have a market release date of 2171 AD. Lutz knows that nobody wanted on affordable Volt that could be manufactured with off-the -shelf technology. He realized that what consumes really wanted was a Volt powered by a million dollar drive-train that had no refilling stations.
LOL, good point.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Today I paid 3.31/g (.03/g discount) at Long Beach, CA. Using my handy-dandy slide rule/calculator from Consumer Reports, that comes out to around .065/mile.

In about 2-3 weeks I head out to the Black Hills of SD and on into Wisc., Ill and up into Canada.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I predict that US $4/gal national average for 'regular' will be reached on 1 August 2007, prior to any landfalling hurricane risks.

Centrider, may I recommend small detours to Devil's Tower WY and Mt. Rushmore SD en route?

DAS

Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM

The range in Long Beach (East Side, mostly) seems to be 3.33 - 3.45 for 87 octane. So for Calif (and what is it in Hawaii?) that 4 buck/g is not so far off.

Well, keep smiling. . .Comes the REVOLUTION. . .

Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

3 or 4 weeks ago, the Saturday automotive ads here in Indy had 3 different Toyota dealerships discounting (either price or financing) Prii. Last Saturday's paper had nary a peep about new Prii. We drove past the one nearest our house and saw 1 on the lot and the one near my office (which had been advertising "over 20 available" has 2.

I'd say that the convergence of lower sticker and higher gas prices must have created demand.

BTW, the majority of the stations I see are right around $3 here...

Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
True, but you also said "summer". It is not even summer yet, and we are starting to see some limited number of locations already passing the $4 mark. As more and more locations pass the $4 mark, the average will creep up too, and by the end of the summer, there just might be enough places over $4 that the average goes over $4 too.
So this isn't even a real price... it's a protest price.... and I was right, it's SF.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGUKPOGKJ1.DTL

Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Well, the cautious observation is that we're not going to make that 4.00 avg this summer/year. One reason might be that Texas has a bill in the hopper to suspend the state gas tax of .20/g. The question than becomes - How many states will follow?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by centrider
Well, the cautious observation is that we're not going to make that 4.00 avg this summer/year. One reason might be that Texas has a bill in the hopper to suspend the state gas tax of .20/g. The question than becomes - How many states will follow?
The idea is intelluctually and fiscally bankrupt. Besides - Texas has no state income tax. They estimate each family with a car and truck saves $100 a summer, so the next state session, Texas may lose a billion in revenue. Then the already Legislature that was farther right than when Pres Bush was Govenor will go farther right in a contest of who is the baddest budget hawk like they did in 2003. They will try to raise "sin taxes" more, along with college tutitions, pretend some services are "non-essential".... a cynical move by politicans to get votes by cutting taxes when it's easy to balance the budget, then they will over cut it when times may not be as good two years from now.

Meanwhile in Dallas, I see plenty of people going at least 75 in a 60 - are they really hurting on gas money? If they are, their driving suggests they are eager to get kicked at the pump, so why help them until then?

Quick Reply: $4 gasoline is coming

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands