Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford's 60 mpg hybrid... full-size pickup?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 AM
YA RLY.
Default Ford's 60 mpg hybrid... full-size pickup?!

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06...lichybrid.html

Ford is developing a new form of automotive propulsion, and the implications for the American Auto Industry are huge. The Hydraulic Hybrid could be the greatest innovation since the internal combustion engine itself, and Ford is on the inside track with its F-150 Hybrid. New Tech Spy Has learned details about the system that are simply amazing and could put Ford in a commanding position in the fiercely competitive full size pickup market.
---The Idea behind the current crop of Hybrid cars is well known; the cars main energy comes from gasoline which recharges batteries that move the car at low speeds. Hydraulic Hybrids work in the same manner, only instead of batteries, excess energy is stored in hydraulic cylinders.That in itself is not revolutionary, except for the fact that Nickel Metal Hydride batteries used today are not an efficient way to store energy, and hydraulic storage blows them away with 3X the efficiency. Even next generation Lithium Ion batteries do not come close to Hydraulic Energy Storage.
---The standard F-150 has a curb weight of about 4800 lbs., which is 65% greater than theToyota Prius, yet incredibly the Hydraulic F-150 with a continuously variable transmission matches the Prius with 60mpg city rating, that’s an amazing 400% increase over its gasoline version.
---The F-150 makes for a perfect host for Hydraulic Hybrid technology because of its height and body on frame construction, adding this system to smaller vehicles will be challenging, but with those kind of numbers small vehicles as we know them may become obsolete...The Hydraulic F-150 is currently scheduled for launch in August of 2008, can Ford work out all the bugs by then? The people are waiting for Ford to come through in the clutch.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned
Default Re: Ford's 60 mpg hybrid... full-size pickup?!

Some of you might remember this article. It was someone that lives a few miles north of me that made his pickup truck look like an Insight and gets 32mpg at 70mph - impressive for a small pickup truck.

Now Ford is claiming that they have a powerplant that makes a bricklike F-150 twice as efficient? I hope it does 60mpg, but it sounds too good to be true....

Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Hybrid True Believer

If they Ford can build a 60 MPG pickup truck, I'd buy one!

I wonder what fluid the system uses? Water? Brake fluid?

Old 02-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'll be first in line to buy one!! I want one now, it sure beats my 11 MPG in my F-250. Only if Ford could make the Hydraulic Hybrid in the F-250...humh?!?

Old 02-13-2006, 01:54 PM
my other car is a FJORD

is this a joke? ford's line right now is considered one of the worst for mileage, and they do little to improve it. they have been known to lobby against stricter rules for mileage in order not to have to change what they do. what makes anyone think they are about to change????

Old 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by article
The F-150 makes for a perfect host for Hydraulic Hybrid technology because of its height and body on frame construction, adding this system to smaller vehicles will be challenging, but with those kind of numbers small vehicles as we know them may become obsolete...
....in other words, they are telling me an F-150 is naturally more fuel efficient than a Prius? I must not understand the Laws of Physics.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
....in other words, they are telling me an F-150 is naturally more fuel efficient than a Prius? I must not understand the Laws of Physics.
Reading the article and interpolating, it seems to say Ford feels that they have a much more efficient energy storage and retrieval system than any other on the road (including their own hybrids).

But I am suspicious of the story. We have all heard of the 100 mpg carborators of past years, and gas tank additives which turn water into fuel. If it were April Fool's Day rather than Valentine's Day, I would be even more suspicious.

I do think Ford has something up its sleeve besides its elbow. But I remain to be convinced that this is it.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If this were on ford.com, I might believe it.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, theoretically speaking, it is possible. They are talking about city mileage afterall, and if you have a very efficient kinetic energy recovery system, you could get very high city mileage, and the mileage penalty associated with a high vehicle mass essentially disappears (and even becomes an asset). The kinetic energy recovery in the Prius or HCH is not very efficient.
Still, room for healthy scepticism remains: the huge tires will have a large rolling resistance, especially with a high vehicle mass. In addition, for highway mileage you just can't get around the whole drag problem, and there no system will overcome the poor aerodynamics and fat tires of an oversized truck.
But, I think it might be conceivable to get 60 city, and maybe 20-25 highway, for an overall average of around close to 40. Not bad for such a huge vehicle.
Even if the thing only gets 40 city and 18 highway, it would still be a HUGE improvement over current trucks out there.
I remember reading about UPS wanting to team up with some company to put such a hydraulic hybrid system into their delivery trucks.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

I've got a 2005 F-150 and a 2006 Escape Hybrid. No way in the world would it come even close to 60 mpg. It would be a miracle to get 30 mpg. I get about 18 mpg with a V6. Most I have ever got was about 20.2 mpg.

A bare "stripped" F-150 weighs in at about 5,300 pounds. Add a hitch receiver at another hundred pounds, some more stuff in the bed and a person will be lucky to get 15 mpg in conventional form. Maybe 25 mpg with a "true hybrid." The GM "hybrid" pickups are a marketing ploy as are several "hybrids" that are not "true hybrids."

Even a diesel pickup isn't anything to write home about. A good friend has a Dodge pickup with a Cummins diesel. He says he gets exactly 20.5 mpg, which sounds about right. Pickups and work trucks are different than passenger vehicles. it is just a cost of doing business. You hope for the best but expect the worst.

BTW, leave the pickup tailgate UP. Putting it down will yield LESS fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: Ford's 60 mpg hybrid... full-size pickup?!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands