Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Prius, gas prices and payback

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Engineering first
Default Prius, gas prices and payback

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007706020375

. . .
High gas prices fueled demand for Toyota's small and midsize cars and helped make May the best month for its gasoline-electric hybrid Prius, with 24,000 unit sales. At today's gas prices, Prius owners can recoup the premium they pay for the hybrid in as little as five months, Toyota executives said.
. . .
Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Major Uranium Miner
Default Re: Prius, gas prices and payback

How does Toyota calculate a payback for the Prius? Must be against another vehicle model as there is no non-hybrid Prius.

For the hybrid payback equation, things still look grim. Even with gas prices in the low $3 range I would expect that the payback time is for most owners 4 to 6 years.

Consider the Civic Hybrid (49mpg city) vs non-Hybrid (30mpg city). Assuming an average of 12,000 miles per year the annual fuel savings is about 156 gallons. At say $3.25/gallon that's an annual savings of just over $500.

At that rate it would take about 6 years to payback the $3,100 investment in a hybrid version.

Of course compared to a Hummer, it could be as little as a year. Six months? Too short.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

why-oh-why are so many people seemingly obsessed by-or-with the old "how long until you get your money back" concept???

how many FEWER gallons of gasoline will have been consumed during that same time frame / under those same driving circumstances?

i may well be in the minority here but, to me ... the reduction of gasoline consumption and ALL that that implies or suggests is the MUCH more significant issue ....

Old 07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Prius has no direct i.c.e. equivalent. I'll bet that the boys at Toyota compared the Prius to a Camry to derive a very small price premium. That's how they got the "5 months" payback.

But the Prius doesn't really compare to the Corolla, either. It's simply a unique model.

Several hybrids DO have i.c.e. counterparts. The Saturn Aura has a hybrid version (gets 2 mpg more than the i.c.e. -- b.f.d.). The Ford Escape has a hybrid, which is okay. And the Honda Civic has a hybrid, which is right on point with the Prius -- small, 4 door sedan that gets HIGH mpg.

The premium for a Civic Hybrid is (was, before $4 gas and dealer add-ons) $3,000. The fed. gov't still gives $1,000 to everyone who buys one, so the premium is really $2,000. The mpg difference between the two is 12 mpg. So a person would simply have to estimate how many miles per year he/she drives, then do the math to calculate the annual savings and subsequent time to break even on the $2,000 premium.

It's safe to say that if you drive 20,000 miles per year, a hybrid should be your first choice. If you drive 15K, it's a toss-up. And if you drive 10K, stick with an i.c.e. car.