Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Survey: Credit Card Use at Gas Pump Surges

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:31 AM
Banned
Default Survey: Credit Card Use at Gas Pump Surges

The use of credit cards at gas pumps has climbed significantly, along with the gas prices. Credit card use may slow down the day people try to drive differently or drive in something different. Different article (Washington Post) remarked about how people will drive to find gas two cents cheaper, yet they could save 18 cents a gallon simply by driving 50mph instead of 70mph. That is essentially the price difference between regular and premium.

MSNBC Story

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 08-26-2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Survey: Credit Card Use at Gas Pump Surges

We quit using credit cards for gas about 2 years ago. Makes it easy to see where the money goes as we pull out x amout of money for gas for the month and at the end how much we have left.Lately it's been close to 0.Kevin

Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Even at today's prices, my HCH still fills up for less than $34....I never use credit cards to pay for gas.

I learned my lesson on that back in the late 1980s. I got a Texaco "charge card" when in college and thought it was a "credit card" until I was hit with an $800 minimum payment due in my third month !!! Whew !! Took my credit report a few years to recover from that !!

Old 08-26-2005, 09:40 AM

we've never used credit for gas- until now. Not bacuse of a lack of cash, but because the amount of money is now significant enough to be worth getting the cashback (we have 2% back cards). At least in a qualitative sense. You can picture a nickel off per gallon.

Generally speaking, I definitely prefer to use cash- gives you a more tangible feel for exactly how much you've used/have left.

And with so many stations requiring prepay for cash, using the card at the pump is about a minute faster. I use that time to check the tire pressure and calculate mpg right on the spot now.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I buy $50 gift cards from Marathon, and they give you a $52 dollar card to use, 2 free bucks for getting it. Nowadays that lasts me almost a month, even with the higher gas prices.

Then I use it and when it's drained, I just buy a new one rather than recharge it, and get another 2 free bucks.

I don't think I've ever used a credit card to buy gas; even if I did, it must've been an emergency.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Our church has been selling Safeway gift cards for several years as part of the fund raising for a new church building - they get 2-3% of the sales. I've been using these gift cards for my grocery shopping almost since the program began. When a Safeway on my way to work added a gas station, I just increased the amount of gift cards I buy to cover my gas also. This way, I pre-budget how much I'll be spending on gas and the church gets a portion of the sales - sounded like a win-win to me

Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I use a rewards credit card, but I always pay it off in full. Racks up $20 or so free stuff at the end of the year. Although my hybrid has reduced my rewards since I use half the gas I used to...

Old 08-26-2005, 04:51 PM

Use of a credit card does not prevent me from knowing *exactly* how much I spend on gasoline -- that information is part of my Prius MPG log.

I have been thinking about ways to cut down the number of credit card transactions, in order to lower my risk of identity theft, but gasoline has so far remained on the credit card. Thankfully, that is less than two transactions per month

Old 08-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Next step is for mortgage companies to set up at gas stations. 2nd mortgage on your house with a lien against your left arm or first born in exchange for a FULL tank of gas.
--Walter

Old 08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I've got a Discover "gas" card that gives you 5% back on gas purchases when you pay at the pump. It costs you nothing if you pay it off every month.

The card is clear orange so it matches this website too!

Quick Reply: Survey: Credit Card Use at Gas Pump Surges

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands