Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Top Ten Hybrids of 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Top Ten Hybrids of 2008

Originally Posted by Yahoo! Autos
Hybrid rankings have often been simplistic: Most are little more than lists of the highest-mileage models on the market. Here, we ranked hybrids based on how much fuel savings they get when compared to their non-hybrid version, as well as how much all that saved gas is going to cost you. Examinations that compare hybrids to "comparably equipped" versions miss an important point. Hybrids are almost always among the most expensive trim levels, if not the most costly, but our premise is that you're looking for efficiency first, followed closely by price. This isn't about acceleration, so the hybrids are compared to the lowest-priced, most-efficient gas-only trim level in their model line. Our rankings take into account the hybrid's mileage and price premium, in percent, as well as its suggested retail price. This gives less-expensive models a boost while penalizing more-expensive ones.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...VuLWh5YnJpZHM-

I find this ranked list interesting, if a bit unexpected in places. I was surprised, as they anticipate, at the relatively low ranking of the FEH, and a bit dismayed to see the HCH only get third. I know, however, that the estimated mileage comparison is a bit off, and of course it's possible to take issue with the comparison to the lowest possible trim level. Few, if any, other cars have as many trim levels and versions as the Honda Civic, at least as far as I know, so it's a bit more of a reach in this case than it might be in some others. I assume you could argue similarly for certain other models, however.

Please discuss!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Top Ten Hybrids of 2008

The FEH ranking is messed up for exactly the reason they explain. The Escape 4 cylinder standard ICE comes in a very basic model to appeal to those who want an SUV at the lowest possible price. The FEH standard package performs like the V6 and has many options added as standard.

For me, the FEH was only a little more expensive than the FEH V6 verson I would have otherwise bought.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Hmm... I'd think with its big increase % wise over the standard gas model the Tahoe would be first. SUV's gain more from hybrid systems and since the hybrid model comes fairly well outfitted it's close in price to a well fitted standard gas version. The author seems to forget that fact.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This article did not factor in the potential tax credit that is available for some but not all hybrids. Factoring in this tax credit could significantly alter the ratings. Otherwise, your particular needs are the most important regardless of what others publish or print.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Top Ten Hybrids of 2008

Ahem, did they miss any hybrids not for sale?

We have 18 groups of hybrids in the GreenHybrid database. Then you take out the discontinued or replaced models and your down to less than 15. So this list is at least 66% of all hybrids for sale. <grins>

If they listed the bottom 10, at least 5 cars would be in both lists.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Examinations that compare hybrids to "comparably equipped" versions miss an important point. Hybrids are almost always among the most expensive trim levels, if not the most costly, but our premise is that you're looking for efficiency first, followed closely by price.
I think their premise is bust. If the top consideration was efficiency, there are small, conventional engine cars that you can get for less money. This looks like they were just trying to make a list that wasn't identical to everyone else's, but they didn't have any new insight to shake things up.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What a crock, they ASSume I want the cheapest dx Civic, NOT!!! I would not have considered a dx under any circumstances and after, driving a lx with it monotone grey interior, I would not have bought one of those either, the EX, no thank you, I did not want a sunroof so, if I wanted a car I liked the interior of, I had no choice but the hybrid.

I am a big boy now, I don't need some moron from yahoo (gag, talk about worthless) telling me what I like and want because it is cheaper.

I didn't buy my car because I thought it would have some huge payback, I bought what I liked and yes it is a Hybrid......wonder how they justify buying a Hummer, wonder how they figure the payback on that.....soldiers killed per mile?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Sungod18
Hmm... I'd think with its big increase % wise over the standard gas model the Tahoe would be first. SUV's gain more from hybrid systems and since the hybrid model comes fairly well outfitted it's close in price to a well fitted standard gas version. The author seems to forget that fact.
That could be true if comparing to "most popularly equipped model" (Trim Level 3LT, with Nav, Back Up Camera, trailering pkg, and power liftgate $46,900. Power liftgate not available on Hybrid) as opposed to base model. The base model Tahoe ($34,630) is significantly less expensive, but rarely ordered.

But then they would have to use the same "most popularly ordered" scheme for all the other vehicles, so there might be other shifts in order.

Peace,

Martin

Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

I think the rankings are mere numbers it does not represent every consumers ratings who bought hybrid cars...