Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Gas Guzzlers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Gas Guzzlers?

Originally Posted by New York Times
A gas guzzler, as defined by the Energy Tax Act of 1978, is a vehicle that gets a combined city and highway fuel economy of 22.5 miles a gallon or less, as calculated by the Environmental Protection Agency. Sounds clear-cut. But as government regulations go, that’s never the case. Turns out, there are enough loopholes in the gas guzzler statute to drive a truck, a minivan, an S.U.V. and even a few hybrids right through it. {my emphasis added}
Source: Hybrid Tax Credits for S.U.V.’s? by Jerry Garrett, published online July 2, 2008, 3:44 pm.
How do *you* feel about some of the behemoth hybrids now being marketed, which do get better gas mileage than their non-hybrid brethren but still technically qualify as gas guzzlers? For example, both the 2008 GMC Yukon 1500 Hybrid 2WD and the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 2WD, per FuelEconomy.gov, get an average fuel economy of just 21 MPG (21 city/22 highway). They may be hybrids, of a sort, but they fit the technical definition of gas guzzler.

From the same NYT article, "Aspen Hemi Hybrid and the Dodge Durango Hemi Hybrid". Gah! Hybrid & Hemi shouldn't be uttered in the same breath.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-02-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Gas Guzzlers?

Originally Posted by GeekGal
"Aspen Hemi Hybrid and the Dodge Durango Hemi Hybrid". Gah! Hybrid & Hemi shouldn't be uttered in the same breath.
I agree with that.
I think the Truck and full size SUV hybrids are a step in the right direction but just a baby step. I think the low sales numbers now and in the future will change the market for these vehicles.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is that really fair? The EPA test has changed at least once (2008), and if I recall correctly, that wasn't the first time. Under that logic, those large cars might not be gas guzzlers based on a 1978 law.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about them. I would much rather see someone driving around a truck that gets 21mpg in the city than a 12mpg non-hybrid version. It also makes "swallowing the fuel efficency pill" a little easier to deal with since they are designed to behave exactly like their gas cousins in terms of hauling and towing, so more people might get on board.

On the other hand, it enables people to continue to drive cars (trucks) that they don't NEED to drive. The stereotypical soccer mom does not need to drive a Yukon to and from the field, even though it can hold the whole team--there are lots of mini van options that would do the same task with better FE.

These cars are allowing the big three auto makers to continue to focus their efforts on big trucks instead of truely fuel efficient vehicles. I would much rather see a two-mode Cobalt than a Yukon...

Bottom line, I think these cars will be a flash in the pan because most people who want an efficent car are not shopping for a 21mpg truck and people who are shopping for trucks are not going to pay the large hybrid premium...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Washington state has a sales tax exemption going into effect as of January 2009. It is for efficient cars, not hybrids specifically. You must buy a vehicle with an EPA rating of 40 MPG to get the exemption.

I don't think this measure is completely fair and equitable. Some people with larger families and business or even those with long commutes that 'live in their cars' do need larger vehicles. I would favor a law that starts to 'phase out' the incentive at some point like 40 MPG, but still partially rewards the purchase of efficient vehciles with a high FE to vehicle curb weight ratio.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Hybrid Gas Guzzlers?

Hi,

I prefer the "right tool for the right job." Not everyone can get buy with the smallest, minimal car nor is the 'land yacht' the universal answer. Mostly we are in an eternal struggle against the Second Law of Thermodynamics. We won't win but we can make the game go on for as long as possible, if we are clever.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

NYT: A gas guzzler, as defined by the Energy Tax Act of 1978, is a vehicle that gets a combined city and highway fuel economy of 22.5 miles a gallon or less, as calculated by the Environmental Protection Agency.
I call the article selective "journalism" or Detroit bashing.

Typical, the author bashes the idea of a Hybrid tax credit for the big domestic SUVs and the Prius is no longer eligible. He didn't mention that the $104,900 2008 Lexus LS600h that gets WORSE gas mileage than the Tahoe helped Toyota meet it's 60,000 car quota.

If we are going to consider the SUVs for the 1978 gas guzzler tax as he suggests. Let's use the 1978 EPA standard:

EPA standard | City | Highway | Combined
2008 | 21 | 22 | 21.5
1985 | 24 | 24 | 24
1978 (pre-85)| 26 | 29 | 27.5
Used this to guest-mate mileage.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Hybrid & Hemi shouldn't be uttered in the same breath.
Why. If you can have a hybrid with Hemi ICE and it reduces emmisions of the vehicle significantly. Isn't that a good thing.

I don't see why the two need to be exclusive to one another. I like the idea of using the batteries in a hybrid used to boost horsepower while lowing emmisions. While MPG is a concern I want a car that is also fun to drive and and can get up and go. Putting a Hemi in hybrid drive train would accomplish that.