Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

As I think about it we will probably hybrid our way into battery cars. If Toyota and Honda will add a plug in (like that modified Prius) option that gets 70 mpg or so it can eventually morph into all battery. If the consumer wants it, the Japanese will supply it. Just need a few more years of $3 or higher gas.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Originally Posted by jaykay
I found the movie interesting. I am an avid electric/hybrid supporter but I found one problem with the movie. While I don't doubt GM killed the car under suspisious pretense, it is easy to figure out why they crunched all the existing cars- they didn't want to keep dealers stocked with replacement parts. That demystifies some of the movie. They should have concentrated on GM's refusal to promote it rather than WHY ARE THEY SHREADING THESE PERFECTLY NEW CARS?????
Except that doesn't explain anything because the people who were willing to buy the cars were willing to sign a release saying GM didn't need to provide any parts for them. Also, if you think about it, the cost of keeping a few electric motors and related parts on hand at some warehouse would be negligible. They could just ship them out on demand and not provide mechanic services. They didn't need to keep every dealership stocked. At worst a few parts in some warehouse, at best nothing at all.

GM's move was just dumb. They made a bad PR situation out of one that could have been good PR. Just having people driving GM EV1s could have provided some positive publicity and interest in the company. I think that's basically why Honda keeps the Insight around, for the attention it gets, and the bragging rights, not because they make a ton of money on them.