Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Washington Post Article on Hypermiling

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Washington Post Article on Hypermiling

Every Sunday the Washington Post has a special section called "Sunday Source" in which they provide brief coverage of various topical subjects. Today's (8/6/06) issue is called "The Eco Issue" and among other short articles, includes one by Post staffer Joshua Zumbrun on hybrids and hypermiling. It's on page 5 if you've got the print edition; or here's the link (requires free registration).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...03.html?sub=AR

There's nothing new to anyone on the board here, but it's nice to see the exposure. And Wayne Gerdes (XCEL) gets a nice plug as "America's greatest hypermiler". Green Hybrid also gets a mention - apparently Zumbrun visited the site shortly after buying his first hybrid (a 2001 Honda Insight). Dunno if he's still around but if you are, thanks Josh!

Will cross-post over on CleanMPG since I think Wayne mostly hangs out there.

Jeff

Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned
Default Re: Washington Post Article on Hypermiling

I'm glad it's in the Wash Post.

While it's not entirely supportive of all aspects of hypermiling, it does give it exposure, and note that anyone can significantly increase the fuel economy of whatever they are driving right now.

At HybridFest, Wayne demonstrated some things that I've been using since. One thing is shutting the ignition, shifting to neutral, coasting to a stop (forced auto stop or FAS). My Insight goes farther on FAS than with the fuel cut off. While I don't expect everyone to adapt all the hypermiling techniques in a rush hour situation, it would be easy to FAS while approaching a stop light. There are a number of situations I FAS while exiting the freeway and go as far as .25 mile without impeding traffic or making my trip longer because the light at the access road is red anyway.