Adding a subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Adding a subwoofer

Originally Posted by raven77
And I'm using 2 Kicker SX900.2's and 1 Kicker SX600.2. I have 00 Gauge wire run to my power dist. block.
I dont have a cap and my lights don't dim at all when the bass hits...
Are those amps in your Camry or another car? Got any pics of the install?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dont waste your money on a cap. They are waaaay over rated and the WRONG way to fix any cars electrical system! Put that money into a bigger alternator if anything...
UHM..I don't know much about subs and amps, (I am fine with the factory system), But I do know that the TCH doesn't have an alternator.

Oh! I get it you were just being silly!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mystifier
Are those amps in your Camry or another car? Got any pics of the install?
No, not yet. I plan to put a small amp and sub in my Camry. But my other system is in my 3000GT, I have been competing in car audio stuff for a long time...I am pretty well out of the loop though now.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
UHM..I don't know much about subs and amps, (I am fine with the factory system), But I do know that the TCH doesn't have an alternator.

Oh! I get it you were just being silly!
OK OK I think stupid is a better word then silly...lol. I only had my Camry for a few days, I am not to familier with its electrical system yet. I had no idea there was not an alternator!! What charges the 12V battery then? the regen? Does it still run at 14.4V instead of 12V when running? If it still runs at 12V when started, thats going to "under rate" a lot of amps!

PS I will suggest upgrading the wiring then instead of the alternator...thats still a better idea then a cap!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

OK OK I think stupid is a better word then silly...lol. I only had my Camry for a few days, I am not to familier with its electrical system yet. I had no idea there was not an alternator!! What charges the 12V battery then? the regen? Does it still run at 14.4V instead of 12V when running? If it still runs at 12V when started, thats going to "under rate" a lot of amps!

PS I will suggest upgrading the wiring then instead of the alternator...thats still a better idea then a cap!
Yeah, but I can get a cap for about $100 that will do what I want, and only have to run wires from the 12V to the Cap to the Amp. All which is conveniently located in the trunk.

I am interested in the kicker solution mentioned earlier. Where is the power dist center? Is that just a fancy way of saying the 12V, or is it hooked into the hybrid batteries?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reignofjerm
Yeah, but I can get a cap for about $100 that will do what I want, and only have to run wires from the 12V to the Cap to the Amp. All which is conveniently located in the trunk.

I am interested in the kicker solution mentioned earlier. Where is the power dist center? Is that just a fancy way of saying the 12V, or is it hooked into the hybrid batteries?
Yes it is very easy to install a cap in this car, but if it doesnt do anything whats the point? What do you want the cap to do? Its even less necessary in this car because the amp will be so close to the battery. If you want to install one because they are pretty, then I understand. But if you expect it to do anything you will probably be let down, I am just trying to save you some time and $100. If you decide not to install one, I will give you my address and you can mail me a check for $50 (half what you saved)...lol

And I really don't have a kicker solution, I just used kicker amps. The power dist. I was talking about is just a fused dist. block. Like one big wire in and 3 smaller wires out to distribute to my amps.
Also I dont have anything in my Camry...I will probably add a small sub (like the new JL audio ones coming out later this year AWESOME) and amp down the road sometime. But right now my current (and about 10th)install is in a '94 3000GT.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

My lights dim when the bass hits hard in the Camry, as it did for my Dodge Charger. I don't understand how you run 3 amps off of your car with no dimming? How many subs do you have running off your amps?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

My lights dim when the bass hits hard in the Camry, as it did for my Dodge Charger. I don't understand how you run 3 amps off of your car with no dimming? How many subs do you have running off your amps?
Again this is in my 3000GT, but I run just 2 subs. JL10W7's. they are monsters! They suck close to 1000 Watts each.
Here is a quick rundown on my opinion why your lights dim...
Alternator is 14.4V, the battery is 12V. The reason your lights dim is because your alternator does not supply enough current to run the amp or the wiring is not heavy enough. When the bass hits, your amp draws so much from the alternator that your headlights are basically running off the battery. that is why they dim, they go from 14.4V to 12V when the bass hits. Do a little research on any audio forum and you will see why a cap does not fix this, if you cant find it and want my theory as to why a cap will not fix it let me know...I am better at fixing things then explaining them though...sorry. lol

From what I just recently learned I guess the Camry does not have a standard alternator but wiring might fix your problem though. Add a large gauge grounding kit, its cheap and helps a lot of different problems...again research any audio forum for the info.
My lights do not dim because I have upgraded all my factory ground wires and installed a high amp alternator(3000GT).
I have been installing car audio systems for about 12-13 years. I also work as an "automation tech/engineer" which is just a fancy name for a electrical engineer, I only mention this so you know I am not just full of poop

Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Alright, research here I come!!! Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Alright, research here I come!!! Thanks for the advice.
There is A LOT to learn about car audio installs, so good luck. If you need any help on anything let me know. I would be glad to share my opinion with you!

Quick Reply: Adding a subwoofer

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands