Additional "services" the dealer recommends?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Additional "services" the dealer recommends?

Had our 06 Prius in last week for it's 25K service. We got the prepaid maintenance plan so we figured that most anything would be covered and checked out. Well....

During the day the dealer called and said things are o.k. but we needed to get the "injectors" cleaned? They said it should have been done at the 15K service but was missed. Cost - $125. Figured well, things like this may NOT be covered under the warranty so do it.

I now did some checking.... according to Toyota Corp there is no requirement for this procedure either in the manual, on the website, or thru their own service line. As my conversation continued with Toyota Corp I made a reference here&there about maybe the dealer was pushing a service they wanted to sell vs what is truly needed. The guy acutally agreed!!

So now dealers aren't satisfied with pumping up the price of the plans but now make up stuff?

Does anyone else know of "additional" maintenance items - if not required - suggested that should be taken serious? I'm about 1 point away from writing to Corp and complain across the board about how it seems all the dealers try to suck additional money from us for things not really needed.

If anyone has info, insight or ??? let me know.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Additional "services" the dealer recommends?

For normal driving, consider the basic maintenance schedule in the manual as perfectly adequate. Other than that, if it ain't broke, don't fix. I'm surprised they didn't hit you up for a "brake service". I would get this story "Sir, your brake pads are still in good shape but you could use a brake adjustment service to ensure maximum life". Yea right. Then it would be, your pads are getting kind of low, you should consider getting the pads replaced. I heard variations on this story at every service for over a year / 25,000km before the brakes on my van actually needed service.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

Originally Posted by Droid13
For normal driving, consider the basic maintenance schedule in the manual as perfectly adequate. Other than that, if it ain't broke, don't fix. I'm surprised they didn't hit you up for a "brake service". I would get this story "Sir, your brake pads are still in good shape but you could use a brake adjustment service to ensure maximum life". Yea right. Then it would be, your pads are getting kind of low, you should consider getting the pads replaced. I heard variations on this story at every service for over a year / 25,000km before the brakes on my van actually needed service.
Local dealer where I live charged a girl I work with for "brake cleaning" when she went in for an oil change.....

Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Watch out - they push changing the cabin and engine air filters on the TCH as well. Unless you are in a dusty environment, they only need changing every 30K miles. Just do it yourself and save the money. It is not hard.

Sorry they got you with the injector cleaning. It is rarely needed unless you get really bad gas. Even then, the "add to your tank" injector cleaners do a pretty good job.

Another one to watch for is emergency brake service. If the travel is not excessive, it doesn't need adjusting.