Pay extra for more services ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Pay extra for more services ?

Hi All,
I just finished my application for a loan for my new prius (very excited ! Can't wait to pick it up !). The toyota dealer did talk me into this extra "basic care package" which includes all parts and labor for service to the car. Of course when you read the brochure, there are a lot of things not included, like break pads, hoses, belts, etc. I think it just covers the big items like air conditioning , muffler, etc. I am wondering if this was a stupid deal for me to take. It cost 2000.00 and is due to last 5 years.
Any opinions ?
Thanks!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Pay extra for more services ?

Hi All, sorry to have bothered you. Found some interesting info on this on another site. I think I will be cancelling it!
Thanks anyway.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Kim, for the benifit of others that may be looking or may be approched about taking an extenbded warrenty, what is the "other Information" you found that pursuaded you to cancel?

Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't get it. The Prius is very reliable and you'd have to have a lot of repairs to get your $2000 worth of service and parts.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

The reason I decided against this was after googling for info, I found this site :

http://priuschat.com/lofiversion/index.php/t3130.html

In summary, the information I found was that the specific warranty I was purchasing only had a few advantages over the regular toyota warranty. They were a replacement car, dislocation service (if your car breaks down and you are 150 miles from home, they will pay for hotel) and the fact that this warranty would last for 5 years, where the toyota warranty is only 3 years or 36000 miles. This site indicates that you can buy an extended warranty if you want one before you hit the 36000 k mark, so I figure I can always buy one later.
I just drove back to the dealer and they are changing my contract to pull the extended warranty off. The last remaining thing which I am not sure of is that the sales guy indicated that buying an extended warranty later would be much more expensive than buying it when the car is new. Info on priuschat.com seemed to contradict this. Also, it seemed like that wouldnt make sense since i would be effectively paying for a warranty that just duplicates the one that comes with the car for the first 3 years.
One thing I did buy which I believe will be worth it is a fabric protection treatment and a rust proof treatment. I have read often on this site about the light colored interiror of the Prius, so I think this will be worth it.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

My son in law is a GM car salesman. He informs me that such things as the "care package" and extended warranties are just more ways that they make a profit. Did you realize that the "finance guys" usually don't get paid a base salary? They make their money by selling these extras. By the way, the fabric treatment is simply scotchgard. Go out and buy a can at WalMart for less than $5. The rust proofing is probably a spray on clear coat which can probably be done for less at a paint shop.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

First off, I'm glad you found the extended warranty offer from PriusChat. That is a good offer and it is a genuine Toyota Platinum service agreement. The price is about as good as you are going to get anywhere.

Lots of folks have purchased the longest of the plans for the full $2000 or even more.

I can understand why, especially when they have no other reference point and are in that finance office just trying to close the sale on the car. However some dealers will negoitiate the price of the extended if you have documentation of it being offered someplace else for much less. The dealership receives incentives from Toyota Finance, who administers the service plans, for selling them. So, some dealers are less interested in making a bunch of profit on them and more intereted in just getting them out the door.

You know the old saying, profit in volume not margin.