Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Ok here is the deal...my wife is a Pharma rep and drives a ton...we got the first 2007 TCH that arrived in our town back in June of 2006. Since then she has put >70,000 trouble free miles on the car...but we are getting to the point where more miles will harm resale and at 90,000 she has to get a new car by company rules.

So we are looking at new cars and of course the 09 TCH is on the list...but should it be? The car is now rated at 33/34 rather than the 40/38 the 07 was...is this simply the new EPA rating or is there a functional difference? We have averaged nearly 37 mpg in the 70k we have driven and recently that number has been higher. We want those kinds of numbers not 34 mpg highway.

Dealer says there are no deals...Toyota is cutting back TCH production so that they can allocate the batteries to the Prius production line...so less cars equals we pay sticker...they also lowballed us on a trade in so I am thinking of going to a different dealer.

Talk to me...are we back to paying sticker for the TCH?

Any insight here would be great. Thanks

Old 07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Spoke to an honest dealer (IMO) and he said, due to demand they aren't discounting anymore, which considering the popularity of fuel efficient cars makes sense.
You might get a dealer who will discount...but you might not see the car for a long time.

Do a private sale of the 07, should be easy to sell, to maximize the value.

I believe the cars are the same, it's just EPA methodology that's changed.

It's up to you, if you love the car, buy another one.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Nothing has changed, it's simply the new EPA ratings. I think the EPA was tired of hearing from people that there car did not get the mileage on the sticker so they derated everyone. I believe it started with the 08 model year.

I would sell your TCH in an area where they are in short supply - long waiting lists to maximize what you can get. Then buy the 08 in a state where they are plentiful.

For example, no waits in southern California.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
For example, no waits in southern California.
LOL Too bad I am in central PA

Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM

See my thread about used TCH prices. I'm considering selling my 07TCH with 51k miles because the asking price for cars in that condition are close to $30k. That is over the MSRP of a new 09TCH! As mentioned, the gas crisis has pushed the value of hybrids to record-highs, and if you are looking to get into another vehicle for whatever reason (such as my need for a minivan), then now is a great time to sell your used TCH.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by flopshot
... I'm considering selling my 07TCH with 51k miles because the asking price for cars in that condition are close to $30k. That is over the MSRP of a new 09TCH!....
If you can sell a two year old car with 51M miles for the same price as a new one, I'd so go ahead.
I don't really don't believe that's possible, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Just looked at eBay motors.
21 2007's listed, 25 didn't sell, despite asking prices ~$22-27M.
1 sold for $28M with 14M miles (loaded)
1 sold for $22M with 51M miles

KBB gives guesstimations of worth, these are real auctions.

Last edited by haroldo; 08-01-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
If you can sell a two year old car with 51M miles for the same price as a new one, I'd so go ahead.
I don't really don't believe that's possible, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
If anyone can sell a 2007 TCH with 51K miles for $30K, I'll buy them gas for the rest of the year.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We asked the question about the fuel mileage rating when we purchased our '08. Ratings were changed by the EPA.

We are averaging 40-41 MPG.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok so here is the next question about this...lets just say we hang on to the 07 TCH until we HAVE to sell via her company rules...that is 90k miles and less than a year away. At that point I figure we will still owe $13000 on the car. Will we be able to sell an loaded 07 TCH for ~$15k-$18K with 90k on the clock in March-April of 09? More than that?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Based on the fact that the '09 TCH is exactly the same as the '07........and 07's are selling at or near new prices for '09's from what i have been reading........i would hang on to the '07. Unless as someone has already stated you can get an '09 for the same price that you paid for your '07. Based on what the wait time must be for any hybrid.........my guess is that you might be better off with the '07. Keeping up with the Jones's has gotten much more expensive in the last few years..!!

Quick Reply: Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands