Camry Hybrid CAN id for gas pedal position.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid CAN id for gas pedal position.

Dan also hosts a monthly hypermiler/hybrid club meeting in the Houston area. I am sure he will be able to tell us a lot more about our TCH after he's had one to drive for a while.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by Dan
I suspect it's AMP draw from the pack. ...
Makes perferct sense. It also raises a a question about how throttle demand is responded to by the ECU. How is the call for increased power split between the ICE and the MG's.

First thing, of course is to start the ICE (Torque split on the MG's), but then how does it make the decision about the drive ratio, ICE power output, MG2 assist triangle? A big pedal demand causes the eCVT to down-ratio of course, and smaller demands may call only for more power, with the initial response being assist from MG2, (assuming the SOC is up).

But then how does Toyota handle it, ... increase the fuel flow and manifold pressure until the ICE displaces the power demand without the assist from the MG? ... or do both things happen at once (as I suspect), down-ratio occurs at the same time that ICE is increasing power and then up-ratios again once the power from the ICE is on-line?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by Dan
... Driving a Prius a MMH and a TCH, is kinda interesting. The MMH and TCH are both 2.4L 4cyl drives. There performance is very similar, although the MMH being higher certainly can't handle like a TCH. I think the fuel economy between the two is (in many cases) gonna be too close to call.
I have driven both also, and IMHO the TCH has much better potential for FE. Better aerodynamics, lower for more adaptave cornering and less frontal area. Also, sedan tires with lower RR than the truck versions on the MMH.

Some things I think are different than the Prius:
  • P & G does not work as well on the TCH. It is very hard to glide without going to neutral on the drive selector.
  • Stealth mdoe (no dirve, no regen) is almost impossible by feathering the pedal in a new TCH. It gets easier once the car has some wear on it.
  • Neutral on the drive selector is great on the TCH. The extra weight carries a coast on even very minimal down grades. The gear connected MG2 seems to have less drag than the chain system. Lube system is also good for this.
  • The extra weight also pays better rewards for anticipation. I frequently enter an extended coast even on level surfaces as a delay tactic for lights, buses, etc.
  • Width and low profile makes cornering at higher speeds than the Prius to retain kenetic energy possible.
Originally Posted by Dan
... Anyway... I don't know if there is much interest in bit-banging on the TCH, ....
Keep at it, there are a few of us out here, and we appreciate the input.

Last edited by FastMover; 07-07-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Originally Posted by FastMover
Some things I think are different than the Prius
One of the biggest differences I noticed was how SOC dependent the Camry is. The 5 stages appear the same, but transitioning to S4 is not allowed in the Camry unless SOC is 4 bars or better (I assume it's looking for 50% SOC).
  • P & G does not work as well on the TCH. It is very hard to glide without going to neutral on the drive selector.
Keying into this CAN id, it's pretty easy once you have 6 bars SOC. The glide lives at 10% pedal position. You can mis it by about 2% on either side. This shows up as anything from 0x10 - 0x18 at byte 8 on the 0x244 packet.
  • Stealth mdoe (no dirve, no regen) is almost impossible by feathering the pedal in a new TCH. It gets easier once the car has some wear on it.
At 6 bars SOC, EV starts at about 12% pedal position and persists up to about 20% pedal position. On low SOC the engine will light arout 17%, but in most cases anything in the teens will be safe. This shows up as anything from 0x18 - 0x28 at byte 8 on the 0x244 packet.
Keep at it, there are a few of us out here, and we appreciate the input.
Will do. My scantool is kinda freaking out with all the Prius snooping I have programmed into it, so I may need to wipe it so it can do it's normal job more effectively.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dan — If you have the interest and ability to investigate ScanGauge CAN-bus codes for the TCH, or tell us how to convert to the TCH the few (only 4) Prius XGauge codes posted on the ScanGauge Web site, that would be great. I tried to encourage people to do this in the thread "Updated ScanGaugeII with XGauge — Codes Needed!"
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ghlight=XGauge
but without success so far. Can you help us? Codes for MG1/2 (rpm, torque, temperature), NiMH battery current in/out, etc. would be very useful.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 07-11-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Originally Posted by SPL
Dan — If you have the interest and ability to investigate ScanGauge CAN-bus codes for the TCH, or tell us how to convert to the TCH the few (only 4) Prius XGauge codes posted on the ScanGauge Web site, that would be great. I tried to encourage people to do this in the thread "Updated ScanGaugeII with XGauge — Codes Needed!"
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ghlight=XGauge
but without success so far. Can you help us? Codes for MG1/2 (rpm, torque, temperature), NiMH battery current in/out, etc. would be very useful.
Yes, I have about 30 new Prius XGauges and have found some work on the Camry as well. I can't post them, but if you PM me, I'll be happy to pass them on one-on-one.