Camry Hybrids suck (2009 here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Camry Hybrids suck (2009 here)

Get into traffic and there's nothing you can do but drain the battery and it starts guzzling gas because they didn't let us switch EV mode on or off back then without paying like $300 for it. Since I'm in rainy Washington I may as well consider my MPG to be 30 at best most of the time because I have to constantly accelerate just to keep it up to 35 MPH and the hybrid system ultimately does nothing until 20-30 minutes later at the end of a drive. And using the defrosters as necessary seems to really hurt my case because it'll guzzle gas while I'm just sitting still and depreciate it anywhere else as well. Also the gas engine is starting to sound more and more noisy and brakes more and more whiny. I've babied this car and it only seems to get worse. So if the environment is already screwed (and hybrids are worse for environment anyway) and it doesn't save on gas, possibly quite the opposite unless you get some ugly Prius, why do we choose these cars? There's nothing good about them that some other car can't do better across the board such as a Honda Accord or Mazda3 heck I might trade it in for a Hyundai or sell it then buy one of those cars. Just venting I guess.

Last edited by Marik; 01-24-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrids suck (2009 here)

Originally Posted by Marik
Get into traffic and there's nothing you can do but drain the battery and it starts guzzling gas because they didn't let us switch EV mode on or off back then without paying like $300 for it. Since I'm in rainy Washington I may as well consider my MPG to be 30 at best most of the time because I have to constantly accelerate just to keep it up to 35 MPH and the hybrid system ultimately does nothing until 20-30 minutes later at the end of a drive. And using the defrosters as necessary seems to really hurt my case because it'll guzzle gas while I'm just sitting still and depreciate it anywhere else as well. Also the gas engine is starting to sound more and more noisy and brakes more and more whiny. I've babied this car and it only seems to get worse. So if the environment is already screwed (and hybrids are worse for environment anyway) and it doesn't save on gas, possibly quite the opposite unless you get some ugly Prius, why do we choose these cars? There's nothing good about them that some other car can't do better across the board such as a Honda Accord or Mazda3 heck I might trade it in for a Hyundai or sell it then buy one of those cars. Just venting I guess.
The vast majority of what you're describing applies to almost all hybrids. Even with those issues, a similarly size non-hybrid will perform substantially worse than 30 mpg.

The bolded portion of your post is just asinine. It has no foundation in reality.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
The vast majority of what you're describing applies to almost all hybrids. Even with those issues, a similarly size non-hybrid will perform substantially worse than 30 mpg.

The bolded portion of your post is just asinine. It has no foundation in reality.
What you're saying makes sense and at the same time also kinda proves my point as far as all hybrids. Really, there is no point in having a hybrid because you pay more in most cases to have that "hybrid premium" which also adds more expensive parts that can cost you some day later to fix. I had a trusted source that said the battery was terrible for the environment, not saying I know everything about this.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 PM

It in no way proves your point, and most of your "points" are just false. A hybrid will outperform a non-hybrid in almost every situation as it relates to efficiency. As I said, the scenario you're complaining about would produce lower mileage in non-hybrids. You must have missed it or just ignored it.

Your "trusted source" knows absolutely nothing about the subject. Those myths were perpetrated to create fear, uncertainty and doubt about hybrid vehicles during their introduction and were dispelled immediately thereafter. Your "trusted" source has 18 year old information that was never true. I honestly can't believe anyone still believes that crap.

I'm sorry you don't like your Camry, and you're very entitled to that; however, it's never smart to make sweeping statements from a position of ignorance.

Sell your car and move on. Just make sure you pay attention to the drop in mileage while you enjoy a higher fuel bill and new monthly payments.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:58 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by Marik
... you pay more in most cases to have that "hybrid premium" which also adds more expensive parts that can cost you some day later to fix.
Actually, the hybrid drivetrain is far more robust and the hybrid system significantly reduces overall maintenance frequency and cost. A hybrid battery has a lifespan comparable to an automatic transmission, and is similar cost to replace, yet has zero intermediate maintenance costs. The electric accessories such as the AC, power steering, etc., are more reliable with electric motors that are precisely sized for the demand rather than to accommodate the wide range of engine speeds, and are more reliable than belt drives, electric engagement clutches, etc. Brakes typically last a lifetime in a hybrid since most of the work is done by the motors, which also typically last a lifetime.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 AM

I owned 07 TCH for 7 or 8 yrs in same "rainy Washington" with daily commute around 2.5 hr on very trafficy highways. And very hypermiler unfriendly terrain.
It was a stellar car and I regret I sold her. I easily averaged around 39plus mpg and she was pleasure to drive. Roomy, comfortable, absolutely reliable.
I'd recommend a Toyota Hybrid to anyone.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast

If there was forum in the 1800, we would hear the same discussion to replace horse carriages with these automobiles! Sure, battery manufacturing and recycling is not that environmentally friendly yet, but imagine the volume of cell phones people use and throw around the world must be many factors more than car batteries.

I used to have a 2009 TCH and now moving to a 2015 TCH with EV feature. Prior to the 2009 TCH, I have a Civic. I got almost 10+MPG more in TCH than a Civic, a great ride, great JBL audio and comfort. An idiot did not stop a one day and hit my TCH on the side at 50MPH with all my family in the car. Air bags deflated, engine was immobilized and we all walked out unhurt!

Toyota is doing a lot by just making these cars when the demand is not that great. I wished more car companies start building efficient cars proactively rather than wait for the gas prices to explode or a war to burst out somewhere!