coasting in neutral bad for car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: coasting in neutral bad for car?

You have to weed the data out of the CSV manually once you import it into Excel. It's pretty easy once you've done it dozens of times. I recommend you just zip the CSV you have, ZIP and post it. I can find what I need.

List price of the battery is $3541.14. You'll be hard pressed to find it cheaper than that.

https://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/pa...D%20COMPONENTS

While they list an online price of $3024.14, shipping will add a LOT to that ... assuming they ship at all

Depending on the data AND YOUR CLIMATE (which is?), reconditioning might get you some life back and also provide the foundation for reliable module replacement options.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:11 PM

I'm North East, Long Island, to be exact (about 30 miles east of NYC). Car was always parked in garage 9-5 weekdays, outside other times, but mostly driven in heavy traffic, so it may have much more charge/discharge cycles than 200k mileage may indicate
Actually Camelback is about 2 hour drive away, I could pick it up, no problem, if they would sell it to me. Also they have water park and nice ski area, I could make it weekend getaway, kids would love it.
OK, if you can fish it, then I'll have it posted in a few, I think I begin to have plan of action, depending on your assesment,
Thank you again.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Camelback Toyota is in Phoenix, AZ

Old 08-05-2018, 02:31 PM

data attached
You kidding, took quick look, saw Camelback. pa, was thinking Camelback Pensylvania, OK.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
data.zip (74.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Pete4; 08-05-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:42 AM

I created spreadsheets from both the CSV files. Unfortunately, I can't access them from work.

The deltaV down to 40% SoC was typically under 0.4V. It didn't get really wonky until you discharged well below 40% in "N" and even then, it doesn't indicate cell failure.

I did not readily observe the wild disparity you did, but I wasn't looking for it specifically. I was looking at overall trends. It's possible it's in there, but it's likely at an abrupt change, e.g., transitioning from 9A discharge to 20A+ charge. I suspect you observed it due to the low data rate. Data was only being captured at about 1.3 second intervals. It's very easy to have substantial data skew at that rate. There is a drop-down menu near the bottom center on the data list screen. It allows you to select various canned data sets. One of them is targeted towards the battery. You can also create a custom one as I indicated previously. When you pare down the data, you can get data rates at 0.5 second intervals and faster.

Given the results and your mild climate, I would give it about 70/30 chance that your battery is only suffering from imbalance and uneven capacity, and you could extend your capacity and battery life with a Hybrid Automotive Prolong reconditioning package. Note that I am an authorized installer in the Phoenix area, but I do not receive any compensation for endorsement. They have been used for many years in the Honda hybrid world, and I endorse them because in many cases, they are a great solution. I only benefit financially when I purchase a unit at a small discount and charge for installation locally.

The above is wild-a$$ed speculation, but based on the data presented, I believe it to be the case.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 AM

First of all thank you very much for taking your time and helping me out. I totally agree with your assessment, I have more data, discharging battery down to 10% and see same thing, cells have different capacities, but it doesn't seem anything failed yet. Actually driving to work this morning again I had error show up and after arriving at my destination I saved freeze frame and reset the code (A0AFA). Strangely enough all modules show voltage within 0.15v and there is nothing indicating any problem. I begin to think that there is some poor connection giving false reading and causing the error. What I will do is take the whole battery apart, clean all connectors, install prolong harness and run few cycles. Any specific place to purchase this charger for best price? I've seen them on Amazon and I think company website. BTW I run discharge test on my wife's brand new RAV4 hybrid for comparison.Going from about 60% SOC charge to about 40%, discharge was pretty similar, took similar time and voltage was within 0.3v among all modules. Bellow 40% RAV4 keep going fine, mine started loosing SOC % much faster and voltage discrepancy started growing much bigger, indicating imbalance in capacity. Hopefully cleaning and prolong conditioning will bring my car back to normal.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM

A0AFA is not a valid code. Is this being pulled by Techstream?

Can you zip and send me the OSD file?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 AM

I'm sorry it's P0AFA
What I'm not clear about: is this data stored from the time error code came up, or is it from the time I clicked on error code to read freeze data. Either way traction battery was disconnected from the drive, so it should be in the same state of charge as the time of error. I drove for about 15 min between when error came up and I was able to pull over to read/clear code. Now that I know my car is wonky, I keep my laptop inside.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
data.zip (886 Bytes, 1 views)

Last edited by Pete4; 08-06-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM

Ah. Whew.

It's almost certainly an issue in voltage sensing. It's triggered when any block voltage drops below 2V. You need to inspect the sensing harness at the module terminals, the other end at the orange plug and the HV battery ECU pins for corrosion.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Got it. I was going to clean it up anyway.
You get dry weather in AZ, I get high humidity most of the time here
Thank you.

Quick Reply: coasting in neutral bad for car?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands