Dang! Just broke my tail light!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Dang! Just broke my tail light!

So much for garage keeping this thing for protection. This is the second time I damaged the car because I keep it in the garage.

Anyway, I backed the car into the garage and didn't know of a small protrusion on the countertop in the garage and I put a crack/hole in the lens cover.

It's about the size of a quarter.

Anyone know if I can just remove the cover and order a new one?

Who would I order it from dealer or body shop?

How much will the part cost?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Dang! Just broke my tail light!

I can somewhat sympathize. The last 2 new vehicles I had I scuffed the left front bumper on the garage wall. The left corner of the wall is angled so even though there might be plenty of room up front, if I'm 2 or 3 inches too far to the left the bumper will touch. I finally put a rubber ball hanging from the ceiling to center up on and stop when it hits the windshield. I'm still mighty cautious approaching the rubber ball in the new TCH though, bad memories from the past...

Old 07-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamm3r
Anyone know if I can just remove the cover and order a new one?

Who would I order it from dealer or body shop?

How much will the part cost?
I'd suggest you stick some red tape over it. Looks good.

I did the same thing with a Nissan pickup and thought I'd go the cheap route. Aftermarket parts are gonna be tough for an 07 TCH, and if you somehow found one that accepts the LED's, it may not look right: the aftermarket unit I picked up from Shucks didn't match the original red and yellow of the other one (maybe mine had faded?), so I'd bite the bullet and get one from the parts department of your dealer. I have no idea how hard it will be to get off. I discovered removing the tail light was very easy on the Nissan p/u , after spending several hours getting to the nuts on the back side.

Good luck, and sorry about the ding. The first one is always the worst.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Enthusiast

You're best to order it from the dealer - aftermarket won't be available yet. You might be amazed how much a little lens can cost. Best guess: $220. Which is why you see so many broken tail lights taped.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by RX8Daniel
You're best to order it from the dealer - aftermarket won't be available yet. You might be amazed how much a little lens can cost. Best guess: $220. Which is why you see so many broken tail lights taped.
I bet over $300. Heck, the aftermarket lens for a 91 Nissan p/u set me back about 150 smackers. It's really quite criminal what they cost. I think it was Consumer Reports that priced out the cost of a car made from replacement parts. (Of course, they didn't actually do this, they just estimated it.) It was something like a Buick Regal and would have cost over $100,000 in parts alone.

No wonder junk yards do so well.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I ordered it for $149 from the dealer. Installation will be around $50 for a half hours work.

The unit, not suprisingly, is back ordered.

I tried to remove the unit myself. There are three nuts and a nylon clip. After that,
the unit comes loose but does not release. There is some sort of retaining clip
that is buried. You can see it between the bottom of the lens and the bumper.

I spoke to one of the servicemen at my local Toyota. He was very helpful and printed out how to remove the unit. Step #1 says "remove bumper"

I think I'll pay the $50 bucks

Old 07-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

hamm3r,

I'd pay the $50 also. Back in my young days I thought about replacing my car's clutch. I got out the service manual.

Step 1. Remove engine (See engine removal and installation).

Step 2. Call Toyota and make an appointment.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by hamm3r
I ordered it for $149 from the dealer. Installation will be around $50 for a half hours work.

The unit, not suprisingly, is back ordered.

I tried to remove the unit myself. There are three nuts and a nylon clip. After that,
the unit comes loose but does not release. There is some sort of retaining clip
that is buried. You can see it between the bottom of the lens and the bumper.

I spoke to one of the servicemen at my local Toyota. He was very helpful and printed out how to remove the unit. Step #1 says "remove bumper"

I think I'll pay the $50 bucks
That's a great price. I do believe I was ripped off when I bought my aftermarket Nissan p/u lens. Next time, I'll just have the dealer do it...if there is a next time. Thanks for sharing.