How about this idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default How about this idea

What if the hybrid system were linked to the NAV system? Aren't there times when you wish the car were smarter.

For instance, you're on your way home, have 1/2 mile to go, on roads with a 25 or 30 mph speed limit. But the car won't go to EV mode because the battery is a little low. However, you know that the battery can get you home. The next time you start it the engine will be cold and have to run and charge it up anyhow.

Another example, you're about a mile from the interstate when the ICE will be running constantly and will recharge the batteries. Wouldn't it be great if the TCH knew that and could keep you in EV mode even though the batteries are low?

Let's tie the hybrid system into the NAV system. Enter your route and the car would know what roads/speeds were coming up and adjust the use of the ICE/EV mode accordingly. That would allow you to get the max benefit out of the electric mode.

What do you think Toyota?

Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How about this idea

Darn good idea! Really, I'm very impressed with how well the system works, but have thought from time to time how handy it would be to turn it on and let it know I'm moving the car into or out of the garage. Your idea takes that a couple of steps further and utilizes technology already on board.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How about this idea

OK, I thought of a way to make it more convenient if the NAV system doesn't already do this. Have a way to store frequently used destinations; home, work, grocery store, in-laws, etc. On second thought, forget the in-laws. This way when you enter the car the NAV system can prompt you for start and end locations. If you go a different way than the NAV system sends you then reprogram the route (haven't worked on the interface yet) so it knows that this is the route you take from home to work. I go several different ways to keep from being bored. It would just have to have the ability to prompt you in those cases for start, end and route with the route stored as route 1, route 2, etc.

Toyota, need any engineers? I'm available. (for the right price)