Does using a hybrid disc in your nav void any warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Does using a hybrid disc in your nav void any warranty?

Just purchased a 2009 HiHY with NAV. Car has less than 1000 miles. I put the hybrid disk that worked for the past 2 years from my 2007 camry hybrid into the hihy... overide worked flawlessly in the hihy for 3 days. started the hihy up and now, the nav display has a message that states "no dvd found. insert map dvd". pressing the load button does not open the nav door to load a new dvd, removing the fuse and disconnecting the battery DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. brought the car back to the dealer. NAV is frozen. cannot use radio, backup camera or nav. dealer says he cannot access radio/nav software with the computer that they plug in to the obd2 connector. dealer said that they will send unit to the manufacturer and if they find a non-toyota dvd in the unit, i will have to pay about $3000 because the warranty has been voided...i looked and read the nav manual cover to cover including the eula... nowhere does it state that i cannot insert a non-toyota disc into the map dvd slot. i think it is a hardware problem with the nav unit....i think the dealer is trying to pull a fast one to make a few extra bucks... opinions and comments please....

Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does using a hybrid disc in your nav void any warranty?

I'd contact Toyota headquarters. They'll give you the truth as to what constitutes an action that would void the warranty.
I don't have the NAV, so I don't know what it's like, but I once put a home made CD, with a label attached into a car CD slot and it got stuck. A pair of tweezers from my Swiss army knife extracted it....after a long time fiddling with it.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

i did contact toyota customer care. they spoke with the service manager and basically said that it was 'his call' regarding the unit. he just wants to send the unit back to the manufacturer without attempting to remove the disc. the service manager was upset that i tried to circumvent the saftey features of using the nav while moving. he also stated that it was a federal law that prevents oem nav units from being accessed while moving. i'm not sure if that is true, but then, why are there so many overides available for different oem vehicles' nav units(lockpics, etc)? he also stated that it could be the software on my disc that caused the lockup. i replied that all the software on the disc was toyota's creation(the 5.1 loading.kwi file) and as such, still keeps the warranty and eula intact. i also said that it is within my rights as an end user to make a backup of the toyota disc and to use such disc while storing the original disc in a safe and secure environment. in response to the 'software locking up the unit', i replied that by removing the fuse and the battery cable, the software from the disc is effectively erased from the unit. i also told him it is a hardware problem, not a software problem that the unit will not boot properly after the power is restored.

regarding the extraction of the dvd, the nav has a door that opens up before a disc can be inserted/ejected. its the door that refuses to open. i dont want to try to remove the trim myself to get to the physical drive. i would assume that the drive, once accessible, would have some sort of mechanism to eject a disc(like a pin hole for a paper clip to manually activate the eject mechanism). i will go to another dealer to see if they can remove the trim and eject the disc without sending back the unit. if they can get the disc out, then it is moot regarding the non-toyota disc voiding any warranty/eula. it will then just be a case of the nav malfunctioning and must be covered under the warranty(i hope).

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 08-23-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

sorry to hear this...good luck!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am using a 2009 hybrid disc on a 2009 camry, and have not experienced any problems

They charged me an outrageous $300 for the update and there were no warnings etc. in regards to it's use or copying for my own personal use. I keep the original in the glove box in the event there are some questions from the dealer or anyone else for that matter.

As for all oem nav units being the same my friends 2009 accord with factory nav I am able to insert addresses and guidance on the move unlike our camry's.

This appears to be a Toyota law and not vehicle wide as I have heard of other vehicles also being able to do this. It is really up to the driver to provide proper use of the machine or what we will be seeing next is iphone with movement detectors that do not allow functions when movement is detected.

As for the door not even opening to access the dvd or cd slot it is rather odd that it failed at the same point as the dvd no longer detected the map disc, I wonder if it could be a new way that toyota is prevent copying of factory dvd's.

On the 2010 lexus they are installing a hard drive and updates can only be done by the dealer.

Please keep us updated

tim from delta

Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey
As for the door not even opening to access the dvd or cd slot it is rather odd that it failed at the same point as the dvd no longer detected the map disc, I wonder if it could be a new way that toyota is prevent copying of factory dvd's.
the hybrid dvd worked for 3 days with multiple starts and shutoffs before the nav locked up..... if toyota doesnt want anyone to copy their dvd, let them put encryption and/or anti copying software on the dvd the same way other manufacturers copy-protect their material... at a minimum, it should eject the dvd, not render a very expensive option useless...